Homebrew on a weekend canoe trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barkingshins

Reaction score
I'm probably too late at this point but I figured I would ask the question anyway.

Today is Wednesday. On Friday morning I am crossing the border into Wisconsin for our annual weekend of canoeing (floating mostly) down the St Croix River with a group of 10 people. Normally I just bring a cooler full of whatever canned beer I can tolerate since glass bottles are verboten on the river.

I have a Two-Hearted Ale clone that is cold-conditioned and ready for bottling but I can't shake the notion that if I was to keg and force-carb it, I could bring it with me for the weekend and forgo having to buy something from the liquor store. I have yet to keg any of my beers but if I felt like there was a reasonably foolproof way for me to accomplish this, I would head out to my LHBS and get a kegging kit right now.

Any thoughts? Is this more trouble than it's worth? Any help would be appreciated.

-Brian

You could do it, but it would be tough if you've never kegged before since it may take a little longer the first time to figure everything out. Bring some dale's pale ale and call it good this year.

Yeah, probably too late. I suppose if you were able to get it kegged tonight and chilled, then hit it with CO2 tomorrow and shake and hope that you don't over carb it. Then you've just got to get a picnic tap and a way to keep the keg cold (or make sure its good and cold before hitting the river and hope the river keeps it cool enough). While possible, I'd probably just plan ahead for next year. If you can wait until you hit WI for beer, you should be able to find some Capitol Brewery beers in cans, their pale ale is pretty good and their island wheat is passable for those that don't like the pale ale.

I've brought a corny camping before. It worked out well but got a little warm later on once the ice melted. I had a lot of help drinking it though!

As I suspected, the general consensus seems to be that I am getting going on this a bit late. I'm also thinking that maybe it's not a great idea to make this "Homebrew: Impossible" task my first kegging experience.

I will dig around and see what my options are for canned beer that I may actually enjoy. Thanks again for the advice.

-Brian

Look into the carbonator caps; you can put your beer in 2 liter bottles (or even 1 liters), hit with co2 and shake it up, and it will be carbed and ready to drink almost right away. PET bottles are much easier on a canoe, too.

Back