Homebrew gives poops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've heard the rumors about homebrew giving you the craps. And everyone says it isn't true, What was it supposedly about it that was thought to give you craps?

you've heard rumors, but everyone says it isn't true? Why would someone tell you a false rumor?

I'm guessing that the yeast content in bottle-conditioned (unfiltered) beers might screw with some peoples' digestive tract operations...

hmmm
well I've heard that that is one of the things people say against homebrew, but of course everyone whose commented on it here (that Ive seen) has denied the comment.
I am just wondering.Don't wanna be taking my brews to party's once they all come of age (the beers) and give everyone the sh-poops

WARNING: UNPLEASANT TMI CONTENT

Starting in my late 30's, I have a pretty screwed up stomach. I can eat rancid road kill and not have a problem and the next day eat a ham sandwich and get "the trots". The week after (or the month after), it is the reverse or something totally different. It's kind of random....

Anyway, one thing that seems to be more problematic than other is complex sugars and gas producing (fibrous) foods. For instance, popcorn *and* candy is a problem 80% of the time. On that same token, yeasty/malty beers can cause the problem to occur. Oddly, Butt Light causes it more often than any other brew...

That said, it has NOT stopped me from drinking loads of homebrew. It doesn't cause/make it any worse than non-beer foods and beverages.

Thanks for the link Davey Boy. That explains it. My first couple of my first batch tended to give me some gurgling and I was like OH NO!!
I don't notice a yeast layer, but I usualy put a couple in the fridge at night and drink the next day. Will leaving them chill longer allow the yeast to settle more and form back into a cake in the bottle?

*edit* PLDoolittle- haha you must have posted while I was posting. Sorry to hear about your problem. I think mine is stemming from the yeast making it to the glass however.

Bobby_M said:
Yes. 3-4 days in the fridge is much better than one night. The best beers are ones that sit in the cold for a month.
I am so freeken lucky that my basement is so cold. My beer in the winter chills out at around 36 and in the summer...roughly 50.
The poop issue...totally due to BMC (3.2 from 7-11) getting hold of a 6'er of really good home brewed triple...drinking it like a 3.2 BMC and getting WASTED! While tanked, they eat any number of nasty things that would give a billy goat the vapors.

That's my story.

Really malty and yeasty beers will mess up my GI tract big time. That's why I brew light-ish ales, use gelatin and refrigerate them at least four-five days before drinking.

haha. Pooping is necessary, but I'd rather poop, than piss outta my pooper. I will put a case 22 ouncers in the fridge tonight. and leave them. I just have a hard time not drinking them as soon as they're cold. It's my first batch

I doesn't give you the CRAPS, it give you the CLAP! I don't know how this kind of blatent misinformation gets around!

sonetlumiere85 said:
Seems like a silly thing to worry about. People have to poop anyway, its not like its avoidable

Man, do I wish it were that simple... Pooping is sort of like breathing. It's not something you think about until it becomes a problem. Then you think about it *a lot*. If I'm traveling, I have to plan my meals about 2 days in advance before I depart. On the day of the flight, I will often not eat at all until I am safely at the hotel. Even when not traveling, I make it a point to locate the bathroom first thing wherever I am. I'm telling you, it totally sucks never knowing if a meal will be well received or receive the "express" service.

That said, malty yeast beers are worse, but not as bad as BMC. If I haven't let it stop my brewing/consumption, you guys have very little to worry about... i.e. RDWHAHB

cglkaptc said:
Poop is funny. I don't care who you are.

No - hershey squirts are or sharts when it doesn't happen to you!! :D

I got the worst gas ever from a Granite City Stout. I got the first one from a new batch. It was for my 40th. I had to wait forever for it too. Ordered it during the appetizer. I got it for desert. I bitched about how long it took. So they gave it to me for nothing. DA probably opened the spigot on the primary to fill my pint!!! :mad:

When I got home I had the absolute worst farts known to man. I could let off a chain of them at 30 second durations each w/ a 15 second break between each gasser.

It was awefull painfull to say the least. :p

Schlenkerla said:
When I got home I had the absolute worst farts known to man. I could let off a chain of them at 30 second durations each w/ a 15 second break between each gasser.

Too bad this was before the emergence of YouTube.
You could have been an instant celebrity!:D

After drinking a six pack of my IPA and eating trub filled deviled eggs, I have produced the home made version of Anthrax

Homebrew doesn't give me the Hershey squirts, but it makes me fart like a friggin rhino!

I don't think I could ever pinpoint a time where my beer gave my the runz or anything, on a different note, Chipotle and Qdoba has.

Also this gnarley hot sauce I bought in Mexico a while ago does the work.

I'm sorry for everyone who suffers from stomach problems, there are a few things ive read about that might cause this problem with alcohol. The yeast is something ive read a lot of conflicting info about some people swear it has a laxative effect but most of the scientific info ive read says theres no link. The second thing is the carbohydrates in beer there are a lot of articles out there about using beano (an anti gas medication, actually amylase enzymes) to create lighter dryer beers so it stands to reason that beer has gas causing carbs. I cant remember where I read it but I seem to remember something about fusel alcohols having a laxative effect. another more remote possibility is the content of your water used in brewing especially if you added water treatment salts, to much of things like Epsom salts with cause diarrhea.

MULE said:
...trub filled deviled eggs...

That right there is nasty. Who thinks of that?! :cross:

I never have any poo problems unless I drink way too much, then I'll get the "liquor sh*ts" the next day. My wife, however... feed her too much sweet beer like framboise, etc. (more than appx. 12 ounces) and you're in for a real gastrointestinal treat. Any other beer, no problem, but if it's got too much residual sugar in it and she drinks 3 or 4 of them... just stand back!

pldoolittle said:
Man, do I wish it were that simple... Pooping is sort of like breathing. It's not something you think about until it becomes a problem. Then you think about it *a lot*. If I'm traveling, I have to plan my meals about 2 days in advance before I depart. On the day of the flight, I will often not eat at all until I am safely at the hotel. Even when not traveling, I make it a point to locate the bathroom first thing wherever I am. I'm telling you, it totally sucks never knowing if a meal will be well received or receive the "express" service.

That said, malty yeast beers are worse, but not as bad as BMC. If I haven't let it stop my brewing/consumption, you guys have very little to worry about... i.e. RDWHAHB

have you seen a doc for that doolittle? it sounds an awful lot like my problem with crohn's disease.

one thing i forgot to mention coeliac disease a autoimmune disease i think that is a sensitivity to gluten a protein that exists in barley, wheat, oats, and rye. different people have different reactions to it and many people aren't diagnosed until later in life but it can cause upset stomachs and far worse. Its somewhat unlikely and if you have it you would be sensitive to a lot of other things as almost everything has gluten in it but its a possibility.

Yup. Totally true. I'm a new brewer and my West Coast IPA is delicious but gave me the trots all day. I should let it sit but might also be my stomach not used to it aswell.

Braaaaains

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back