Home Super Brewery Build: Hybrid Electric/Gas 3BBL Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's awesome, really dig this thread. Seeing what you came up with as a mere amateur, I hope you'll post some pics of the commercial setup.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

That's great! Good on ya for going relatively big from the beginning....everything I have read is that you need to be able to produce enough beer to keep up with demand and make enough $$$ to pay the bills (and yourself).

That's great! Good on ya for going relatively big from the beginning....everything I have read is that you need to be able to produce enough beer to keep up with demand and make enough $$$ to pay the bills (and yourself).

Thanks! Interestingly enough it's not much more expensive to go with a 15BBL or a 30BBL system, the space we are in though dictates that 7BBL with 15BBL cellaring is probably about as big as we can go this round. As for the $$$ I don't think getting paid is in the cards for a few years but hopefully we will recoup the investment in the equipment....

Congratulations.
I hope your business will be so successful to give us Texans a change to enjoy your beer too.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

thanks, you've provided me enough inspiration over the course of my crazy builds I'll happily ship you beer my friend! Your garage is even more 'breaking bad' than mine : )

Something to be said about crashing and carbing in the fermenter! Beer is kegged and tapped the same day....

could you please expand on how you are doing this? do you just plug the fermenter to carb for a while naturally, cold crash, keg, and it is ready to serve? if so, how long do you usually let it ferment while plugged and at what temp do you naturally carbonate?

AWSOME build by the way! Glad to see that you are taking this to the next level!

could you please expand on how you are doing this? do you just plug the fermenter to carb for a while naturally, cold crash, keg, and it is ready to serve? if so, how long do you usually let it ferment while plugged and at what temp do you naturally carbonate?

AWSOME build by the way! Glad to see that you are taking this to the next level!

Sure, my fermenters are pressure rated to 15psi. I usually cap the fermenter at about 2/3 of primary fermentation to naturally carb but also have carb stones in the fermenter for force carbing as well. The glycol chiller gets the beer down to about 40 degrees which also speeds up force carbing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Awesome! I have some corny lids with holes for fermentation and blow off/bubblers. I guess I can do the same thing and just change the lid out (at the risk of oxygen exposure) when I am winding down on the primary. Maybe I'll do that!

Awesome! I have some corny lids with holes for fermentation and blow off/bubblers. I guess I can do the same thing and just change the lid out (at the risk of oxygen exposure) when I am winding down on the primary. Maybe I'll do that!

Since you already have a hole in the lid, just mate it up with a compression fitting and a small valve that would allow you to change out the bubbler or cap it for carbing.

Congrats on going pro! Keep us updated with lots of photos of the beer bling!

Thanks, will do. Should have the 1.5bbl half of this system up and running in its new home shortly. This will involve replicating some essential components like tankless water heater and control panel. We'll also need to source a small glycol chiller for fermentation temp control. Short of that we'll be good to go on pilot batches while we are in process on the licensing. Lead times on new system is anywhere from 4-6months and I have no idea what the speed of bureaucracy for the licensing will be. At this point my goal is to have a legal, licensed production facility up and running with 7bbl brewhouse and 30bbl cellaring in place by the end of the year.

Were is the new location? I'd love to stop buy when you get some tanks

Were is the new location? I'd love to stop buy when you get some tanks

Probably about halfway point between our houses, beautiful and bullet hole ridden Richmond, CA!

New toy showed up today! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392860018.112131.jpg

Cool toy, where'd you get that (if don't mind me asking)?

Cpe systems from Canada, they advertise on probrewer and really have the best prices around (and fantastic support)

My other march nano pumps have about 15' of head, these have like 65'

Not only planning on leveraging for CIP but also to design a variable program for automating keg washing correctly.... And hey, it's always great to be able to push the envelope!

Cpe systems from Canada, they advertise on probrewer and really have the best prices around (and fantastic support)

My other march nano pumps have about 15' of head, these have like 65'

Not only planning on leveraging for CIP but also to design a variable program for automating keg washing correctly.... And hey, it's always great to be able to push the envelope!

Sorry, 65gpm and 55' head

Prepping for a monster brew day on Sunday, added a second line to the glycol chiller tonight and received 300lbs of grain! Good times!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395194466.496898.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395194478.211416.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395194495.247711.jpg

What are you brewing?

Oh, and isn't 300lbs only a month's supply?:ban:

Lol, on a normal month yes, it's been a crappy start to the year though so brewing hasn't been top priority...

We're brewing an Amarillo Pale with a lot of Munich and a fantastic Saison! Testing out all four elements running at once as the garage is getting an upgrade once again!

Ready for action, two separate lines, independently controlled that will be pushing 28 degree glycol through 50' 1/2" stainless coils in my 240l fermenters for temp control!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395248235.501329.jpg

Ready for action, two separate lines, independently controlled that will be pushing 28 degree glycol through 50' 1/2" stainless coils in my 240l fermenters for temp control!View attachment 186943

I hope those quick connects work out for you.
I have the high flow shut off versions and decided to remove the shut off part to give me a better flow with lower pressure circulation pumps.
They will clog up if you have any slush flowing around or cheap RV glycol which breaks down into slimy mess. I read a warning not to use RV glycol for a circulation system and they are correct. After a year it turned out to be a nightmare to clean the system and valves.

My system has been running now a few years 24/7 with no problem.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I hope those quick connects work out for you.

I have the high flow shut off versions and decided to remove the shut off part to give me a better flow with lower pressure circulation pumps.

They will clog up if you have any slush flowing around or cheap RV glycol which breaks down into slimy mess. I read a warning not to use RV glycol for a circulation system and they are correct. After a year it turned out to be a nightmare to clean the system and valves.

My system has been running now a few years 24/7 with no problem.

Cheers,

ClaudiusB

I have had the first leg running on this for about a year now with fantastic results, only drawback is when placing the coil in a screaming hot bucket of PBW I need to ensure a pair of drain lines are connected or I blow a $20 shutoff connector each time. I used the nsf glycol recommended for the system and it is still as clear as it was a year ago yesterday when I pulled it apart!

Yes, but less that ugly 49ers helmet. Go Hawks! All kidding aside, you have done an amazing job and am highly jealous of your setup. Keep the updates coming!

Yes, but less that ugly 49ers helmet. Go Hawks! All kidding aside, you have done an amazing job and am highly jealous of your setup. Keep the updates coming!

That was Ronnie Lott's helmet, I'll be happy to pass along that you don't like it.... Feel free to PM me your address so he knows how to properly address the complaint ; )

Shifting gears, framing of the production facility is done and most of this kit will be headed off to it's new home shortly! First refill of the 50lb cylinder today, damn that thing is heavy! Bought a backup 20lb cylinder today to lessen the chance of a similar beermergency in the future!

I wonder if you could answer a tankless water heater question. Does a March 809 generate enough flow to keep the TWH running. I read through this thread and I got the impression that it does. We are thinking about recirculating from the HLT -> counter flow heat exchanger -> pump -> tankless water heater -> then back to the HLT. We would run the pump wide open. The only reason I ask is because all the manufacturers recommend a minimum pressure. It seams to me that as long as you can maintain a minimum flow you will be ok. Have you found this to be the case. Also how good is the temp control of this unit?

Great build by the way!

I wonder if you could answer a tankless water heater question. Does a March 809 generate enough flow to keep the TWH running. I read through this thread and I got the impression that it does. We are thinking about recirculating from the HLT -> counter flow heat exchanger -> pump -> tankless water heater -> then back to the HLT. We would run the pump wide open. The only reason I ask is because all the manufacturers recommend a minimum pressure. It seams to me that as long as you can maintain a minimum flow you will be ok. Have you found this to be the case. Also how good is the temp control of this unit?

Great build by the way!

Yes indeed, look for a manufacturer that specifies a very low activation flow rate, my rinnai is the lowest I could find at .5 GPM activation rate. I would opt for a higher flow pump if possible like the march 3 series but you shouldn't have issues.

Yes indeed, look for a manufacturer that specifies a very low activation flow rate, my rinnai is the lowest I could find at .5 GPM activation rate. I would opt for a higher flow pump if possible like the march 3 series but you shouldn't have issues.

Thinking this through a little more, the tankless is most likely 3/4" I/O. You'll have to keep your loop small with that pump and 1/2" line. Might be wise to pick up one of the used march 5 series....

Thanks. Our loop will be less than 10 feet. Worst case we will just get a bigger pump.

:D

You welcome

After a few readings you will have neck pains, I don't.:D

Cheers,

ClaudiusB

Did yours come like that or can I dismantle and change the orientation? Given the mechanical nature of the meter I was not too keen to dismantle.....

Do'Oh! I just rotated the face 90 degrees, no dismantling required...

Now to find a sanitary one for determining volume into fermenter

Back