Home Stereo Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
My stereo system's amp/receiver blew out several times 20 years ago so I replaced it with a Sony digital one and even though they are impedance matched it does not put good sound out of my large speakers which are about 25 years old but in good shape. The sound is dull and bassey and plain sucks. Through headphones the sound is fine though.

I was thinking maybe try another amp/receiver or an equalizer, yeah my equipment is old and I haven't stereo shopped since then. Anyway, my fear is this will not correct my problem and would frustrate me even more. I thought of getting one of those Bose compact systems but they are like $600.

Anyone have any cheaper suggestions for a small system that sounds good? This may become my BD gift later this month.

if you are looking for a new receiver I'm very happy with my Onkyo sr705 you could find a used on on e-bay or amazon for less than 300. Denon also makes some reasonably priced receivers that sound great. might be a place to start. . .

Are you looking for something to just drive your old speakers, or do you want a complete surround sound setup for tv/movies?

I've had both Onkyo And Harmon Kardon receivers, it's hard to go wrong with either.

Also how much are you willing to spend??

Well you are probably going to have to give some more information about the speakers you have to get a good answer, but I'll throw this out there.

I have a Harmon/Kardon AVR 247 receiver that I got as a referb unit on ebay direct from HK. It is hooked to some old MTX towers that have dual 12's in them along with a 12" powered sub and a center channel speaker. I got it to replace my old HK AVR500 that was still working fine, it was just old. I have been really happy with the sound and options on the new one.

A friend recently saw my receiver and was asking me about it cause his Denon took crap so I told him what it was and where I got it and he ended up getting a really good deal on an AVR 347 which is the same as what I have only with a bigger amp. I paid about $250 for mine a few months ago and he only paid ~$165 although he did get lucky on one of the auctions ending late and going cheaper than what others were going for.

Take a look at one of these if your interested in something like this.
Harman Kardon HK AVR 247 7.1 Home Theater Receiver HDMI - eBay (item 390077057255 end time Aug-04-09 18:03:23 PDT)

Harman Kardon HK AVR 347 7.1 Home Theater Receiver HDMI - eBay (item 180392880269 end time Aug-04-09 18:27:11 PDT)

The sky is the limit as well as the price.

If you are using a $600 figure to get a whole package, I would consider a "Home Theater in a box" route and you can get a pretty decent one for $600.

I went the route of separate components and am sure glad I did. I got the best bang for my buck in each category. All but the suround speakers in my main room are from Elemental Designs and if you buy more than 3 speakers, you get a 15% discount at least when I ordered. I have their A5-350 sub which they redesigned, now the ports fire downward but man that thing shakes the whole house and go so low but does have a 15" woofer backed by 550 watts.

729_large.jpg

I also have their towers and center channel

I have a Yamaha VX-2700 receiver and it runs 3 rooms in my house, I love it and can't go back to a simpler receiver now.

Are you looking for something to just drive your old speakers, or do you want a complete surround sound setup for tv/movies?

I've had both Onkyo And Harmon Kardon receivers, it's hard to go wrong with either.

Just something to drive the speakers for radio, cds and yes, once in a while albums. I have a ton of old albums and a decent turntable and I have no plans to replace every album with a cd.

I've you're looking for a Home Theater system as well as HiFi audio, I've never been burned by Pioneer Elite models.

For a moderate "money is no object" setup, I drool over the Outlaw 990 Preamp and 7700 Amplifier combo. It's only a tad under $3000.

I wouldn't go Bose. My dad has the Lifestyle system and I swear my cheapy JBL system sounds better.

Well you are probably going to have to give some more information about the speakers you have to get a good answer, but I'll throw this out there.

I have a Harmon/Kardon AVR 247 receiver that I got as a referb unit on ebay direct from HK. It is hooked to some old MTX towers that have dual 12's in them along with a 12" powered sub and a center channel speaker. I got it to replace my old HK AVR500 that was still working fine, it was just old. I have been really happy with the sound and options on the new one.

A friend recently saw my receiver and was asking me about it cause his Denon took crap so I told him what it was and where I got it and he ended up getting a really good deal on an AVR 347 which is the same as what I have only with a bigger amp. I paid about $250 for mine a few months ago and he only paid ~$165 although he did get lucky on one of the auctions ending late and going cheaper than what others were going for.

Harman Kardon HK AVR 247 7.1 Home Theater Receiver HDMI - eBay (item 390077057255 end time Aug-04-09 18:03:23 PDT)

Harman Kardon HK AVR 347 7.1 Home Theater Receiver HDMI - eBay (item 180392880269 end time Aug-04-09 18:27:11 PDT)

Well, the old system was a Fisher which at the time was the most I could afford and get big speakers and a full rack system with everything, CDs had not yet come out. The speakers are the only Fisher part left. They used to put out good sound until I went with the Sony.

In the end the problem might be with your speakers. They may have a different resistance built to work with the Fisher receiver or they may just not be able to handle the power output of the newer amps.

I've you're looking for a Home Theater system as well as HiFi audio, I've never been burned by Pioneer Elite models.

For a moderate "money is no object" setup, I drool over the Outlaw 990 Preamp and 7700 Amplifier combo. It's only a tad under $3000.

I wouldn't go Bose. My dad has the Lifestyle system and I swear my cheapy JBL system sounds better.

Really?? Guess I am really confused now as I thought they were the best for the price with compact systems and a few people I know with them love them. I never hear one myself though.

I guess I need to find a good stereo place and ask some questions and listen to systems.

I know people who really like the BOSE stuff, but personally I think it's way over priced. Actually if I heard right the CEO of BOSE once said that they could sell what they make a whole lot cheaper than they do and still make a nice profit, but they choose not to so their stuff appears to be in a more elite class of equipment. So I guess I wouldn't say there stuff is bad just way over priced for what you get.

Look nice but I would also need to buy a AM/FM tuner as mine now is built in and that is listed as an input with other things. Can't beat the price even for a refab, goes bad what really have you lost? I know, bid could go up.

In the end the problem might be with your speakers. They may have a different resistance built to work with the Fisher receiver or they may just not be able to handle the power output of the newer amps.

Good point! Maybe I can find someone who will be willing to do an experiment for me. I can trhow them in the truck and have them hook them to their reciever and see how they sound. If they still sound like crap I really just need new speakers, sound good maybe buy that reciever or probably any other one recommended. Maybe just take my reciever and test with their speakers. Yeah, good idea.

Really?? Guess I am really confused now as I thought they were the best for the price with compact systems and a few people I know with them love them. I never hear one myself though.

I guess I need to find a good stereo place and ask some questions and listen to systems.

They are decent at mid-range and little else. The "Bass Module" is a joke and the satellite speakers have little depth to the sound field. He ended up adding a 15" sub to round out the sound. They also ran around $1100.

They market REALLY well, however, and people think that means they are good speakers that don't need to be "big boxes" to produce sound.

I have always heard both were very good. Well, I was hoping to be able to use most of what I have already if possible so spending $600 on a receiver is more than I want to spend. However, the Bose systems (as stated above) do seem to be pricey for such a small unit. I know, you can't judge quality by price.

Point is I guess I want to either get my system working well for under $300 or replace most or all for $500 tops. I know that is nothing when it comes to nice systems but I don't need a super system, I just want to hear the music unmuffled and maybe just loud enough to fill my house with decent sound. I am not looking to have a concert system I can play outdoors for the neighborhood. I already have constant ringing in my years, probably from my younger days. :D

I know people who really like the BOSE stuff, but personally I think it's way over priced. Actually if I heard right the CEO of BOSE once said that they could sell what they make a whole lot cheaper than they do and still make a nice profit, but they choose not to so their stuff appears to be in a more elite class of equipment. So I guess I wouldn't say there stuff is bad just way over priced for what you get.

That is funny because that is the exact thought I have of when I think of BOSE, overpriced for the performance you get.

But back on the main topic it sounds like this is for general hi-fi needs

It's all about the speakers and a good amp, it sounds like he already has the sources like the CD player and record player.

I almost went the Axiom route and heard nothing but good things but still haven't heard a pair yet. I was going to go the SVS route for a sub which I hear are great but didn't want to spend that much. Still haven't heard these either.

I just saw your reply above me and these are not going to fit that budget. For that price range to get a whole system I am still thinking a Home Theater in a box though.

Something like this: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=567602&CTID=5000800

$423 at etronics

M_yht790.jpg

That is funny because that is the exact thought I have of when I think of BOSE, overpriced for the performance you get.

It's all about the speakers and a good amp, it sounds like he already has the sources like the CD player and record player.

I almost went the Axiom route and heard nothing but good things but still haven't heard a pair yet. I was going to go the SVS route for a sub which I hear are great but didn't want to spend that much. Still haven't heard these either.

I just saw your reply above me and these are not going to fit that budget. For that price range to get a whole system I am still thinking a Home Theater in a box though.

Something like this: YHT-790

$423 at etronics

M_yht790.jpg

I will need to decide if I want to spend that much on a system and maybe really listen to a few home stero systems friends have and compare. I never thought of hooking my TV up to such a system but them again maybe I should. Maybe go all out and get those outdoor speakers too so I can listen to music while working in the garden instead of the discussions my mind has with itself. That or one of the songs repeated over and over again on the radio or a TV theme song. That stuff can make you looney :D Let me rethink this whole idea, thanks!

BOSE is a total joke in the world of hi-fi. It's really that simple.

Before you do anything, try pulling your speakers away from the walls - by at least a good foot or two. The closer your speakers are to the wall, the more "boomy" they will sound. Proper speaker placement is about 70% of what makes for a great sounding stereo.

Forums to check out for more info:

AudioCircle - a great well-grounded audio forum for hi fi nuts who mostly operate with earthly budgets.

AVS Forum - the home theater mecca . . so they know their home theater really well and their hi-fi ok . . but it's well grounded for the casual hi-fi guy.

and if you're brave: Audio Asylum -- Audio Reviews, Audiophile Forums and Stereo Reviews - this is where the true audio loonies hang out. It's a weird mix of price is no object (think $1,800 for a single raw speaker driver or $8k phono cartridges) and well grounded advice. The guys in the vintage sections are pretty well grounded. This forum is probably the most sophisticated. Of course there's a ton of BS in the hi-fi world, so trust your judgment. Examples: asylum members were happy when I announced that I scored some old radio shack full range drivers for $2 each and were excited to coach me on how to build good open baffle speakers with them . . . while other members were disappointed with my choice of a $300 phono cartridge and were suggesting that i move up to the $650 range.

BOSE is a total joke in the world of hi-fi. It's really that simple.

Before you do anything, try pulling your speakers away from the walls - by at least a good foot or two. The closer your speakers are to the wall, the more "boomy" they will sound. Proper speaker placement is about 70% of what makes for a great sounding stereo.

Forums to check out for more info:

AudioCircle - a great well-grounded audio forum for hi fi nuts who mostly operate with earthly budgets.

AVS Forum - the home theater mecca . . so they know their home theater really well and their hi-fi ok . . but it's well grounded for the casual hi-fi guy.

and if you're brave: Audio Asylum -- Audio Reviews, Audiophile Forums and Stereo Reviews - this is where the true audio loonies hang out. It's a weird mix of price is no object (think $1,800 for a single raw speaker driver or $8k phono cartridges) and well grounded advice. The guys in the vintage sections are pretty well grounded. This forum is probably the most sophisticated. Of course there's a ton of BS in the hi-fi world, so trust your judgment. Examples: asylum members were happy when I announced that I scored some old radio shack full range drivers for $2 each and were excited to coach me on how to build good open baffle speakers with them . . . while other members were disappointed with my choice of a $300 phono cartridge and were suggesting that i move up to the $650 range.

Thanks, I will try that tonight, easy enough and they are up against to wall. I had them in my apartment and now our home but in both cases against the wall and crappy sound.

Something like this: YHT-790

$423 at etronics

M_yht790.jpg

i have axioms. i love them.

I have yet to meet anyone satisfied by the sound quality of the Bose sattelite systems for more than a background music system. The Mid/Sub box has little (none) crossover control and tends to be boomy no matter where it's placed unless you locate the deepest null in the room. Even then it's underwhelming.

The only wave guide design speaker I have ever heard that sounded decent were made by Fried products.

I get better subjective and tested sound from cheap RCA bookshelf speaker paired to a powered sub than I do with a pair of B&W DM604 Series 3's.

Have you tried moving your towers around to balance the response? Tower speakers can be tricky, espeicially in room corners.

My choice...

Speakers: Martin Logan
Recievers: Pioneer Elite

Wait...nevermind, not for $600. :p

Well, I finally did some more playing around and discovered the problem but not the cause yet. The problem is all the sound from both speakers comes only from the woofer and not the mid range or tweeter, therefore the muffled sound I was trying to explain. Good thing is I have a coworker that has the same set of speakers (he is my age and also in his early 20's brought this same system) and he has volunteered to let me borrow his receiver (his original also blew and was replaced) which he says sounds fine with the speakers.
I tried hooking the speakers to the front, middle and rear speaker outputs but the sound was always the same. Odd I would have the same problem with both speakers which leads me to believe their is an incompatibility between the receiver and the speakers, replacing either may work, but since the receiver is newer probably better to replace the speakers.

It sounds like there's a chance that it was bi-amped meaning there were separate pairs of wires running between the receiver and speakers. It is generally considered a more high end system where the high/lows are actively filtered and amplified rather than amplify and use a passive crossover network in the speaker to separate. What kind of connections are found on the back of the speaker?

It sounds like there's a chance that it was bi-amped meaning there were separate pairs of wires running between the receiver and speakers. It is generally considered a more high end system where the high/lows are actively filtered and amplified rather than amplify and use a passive crossover network in the speaker to separate. What kind of connections are found on the back of the speaker?

that was my first guess too! too bad we're wrong.

Methinks the crossover inside the speakers is toasted or, has come loose.

Might just be the bridging connections tho'.

Yeah, my next step was going to be taking the back off and take a look, maybe the new receiver damaged them. I get frustrated dickin' with it as I have way too many other things I need to do so I don't spend but 10-15 minutes on it before I get frustrated. You see, I can listen to the stereo fine with headphones so it is not like I can't listen to my music, just that now since I am no longer in an apartment I really want to "cut the cord" and listen to the music through the house.

After years of being moved about, my DM604's developed a fierce internal rattler. I was afraid the spiders were loose or something.

Turned out the internal crossovers had shifted and were touching the inside of teh cabinet.

I had to snake my hand up in there to move the crossoevr assembly away from the cabinet wall. To this day, I still haven't figured out how they managed to get these cabinets together. There are no fasteners on the drivers and the cabinet back is dado'd into all four sides of the cabinet.

But dang they sound good now.

After years of being moved about, my DM604's developed a fierce internal rattler. I was afraid the spiders were loose or something.

Turned out the internal crossovers had shifted and were touching the inside of teh cabinet.

I had to snake my hand up in there to move the crossoevr assembly away from the cabinet wall. To this day, I still haven't figured out how they managed to get these cabinets together. There are no fasteners on the drivers and the cabinet back is dado'd into all four sides of the cabinet.

But dang they sound good now.

If I can't get mine apart easily I might just put my hand through the woofer and access the inside that way. :mad:

I FINALLY got this somewhat figured out. I guy here at work had a pair of old stereo speakers that he said I could have. Pretty nice actually, made of real hardwood. Anyway last Friday night I took them home and hooked them up and the sound was great. Listened to music on this stereo without using headphones for the first time in a long, long time. Living in an apartment for many years it was no big deal though, with headphones I didn't disturb my neighbors. With the house now it is different.

Still not sure what is the deal with my old speakers though, either they went bad or they are not compatible with the newer receiver. Never worked with the new receiver from day 1. My friend uses the exact same speakers; maybe I will give them to him to see if they work for him. My "newer" receiver is a JVC RX 664VBK.

Latest posts

Back