Home Depot is KRAP (?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimba009

Reaction score
So, Saturday I took a trip to my local Home Depot and purchased a makita impact driver and drill set along with some bits and other stuff. Get home about a hour later and bust stuff out to charge the battery and play with, the sh%t is used. Chalk dust all over the handle of the impact, scratches on the drill, no plastic wrap, and the instructions looked like a puma had used it as a toy. Took it back, and they where like "ya, this looks like it has been used". NO SH*T SHERLOCK! They replaced it and gave me 10% off, can't complain about that. But how do you put a returned item back on the shelf?

On Black Friday I went to Bass Pro and got a game camera . I got it home and used it for a week and found out the f**king thing didn't work ! I even had a Squirrel rub it's paws ALL over it, he even "cleaned" the lens off :D and no pictures . So I took it home and stapled the package shut and returned it .
So a few days before X-mas I was back at Bass Pro and their it was hanging on the shelf with the others for sale .:eek:

I think it's common practice amongst the big box stores. Being a recently-new homeowner, I can't tell you how many things I've bought, realized I didn't need, and returned to HD and Lowes. Well over $300 worth of products. Most of the stuff I returned was still in the packaging, but some of it was opened.

I would bet a blichmann that what happened was the clerk who took in that return did not open the package to inspect it before replacing it on the shelf.

Atleast they gave you a discount at the end for your frustration.

Meh, hard to call Home Depot crap when they gave you 10% off the drill for the inconvenience. Someone ****ed up, but they made it right; better that they didn't **** up at all, but I've certainly heard worse about the Despot.

Ya, the manager who came over to talk to me was really cool about the whole thing. I was really ticked and he diffused me with a quickness. It just irks me that I had to deal with the whole thing. I have spent quite a few $$$'s there since starting to homebrew, and other than the worst advice I have ever been given (never ask questions there) I have overall been happy with them. I did however find a ma/pa hardware store close by that has ss washers because of my dealings with the Depot...

I am the owner of a construction company and I get most of my stuff at HD . I normally just deal with the people at the pro desk who treat me very well but if I need something and it's not between 9-5 M-F you are screwed ! The night crew is not nearly what it should be. :( So if you need "help" go during the day. M-F

Chances are the person who returned the item did not indicate that it was defective thus, (many) store policy is to put it back on the shelf for full retail.

Yep. Sounds like they did good to me. A mistake was made, but they manned up and took care of you. Your story sounds more like an endorsement of Home Depot to me.

To me this story shows why I buy all my homeowner stuff from HD. I generally hate big box stores, but Home Depot has impressed me at every turn. I am sure that whoever restocked the item was lazy and didn't check the product.

You got a free 10% and had to spend five minutes to get it. Sounds like something I would do every time given the option.

Yeah, you got good treatment. I could totally imagine them saying you can't return this because it looks like it has been abused... Instead they handled it well.

i had to spend 2 hours of my only day off this week to get $17 dollars. that is the gripe. that and nobody looked at the thing before they put it back on the shelf.

The fact that they took it back no questions asked is actually a good thing. I do, however, always look closely at the box of the item I am going to buy when I shop at Lowes or Home Depot. I find they both have used items on the shelf - which I do not agree with.

well you know how it goes

disney-dreamworks-scottish-crap.jpg

Maybe that is what I was so upset about. If something is returned it should go back to the manufacturer. I don't care if it still works, it was returned. I equate my "used" drill to a "used" phallic toy. I don't think the GF would want a phallic toy that had been used, returned, and then resold. LMAO!

Maybe that is what I was so upset about. If something is returned it should go back to the manufacturer. I don't care if it still works, it was returned. I equate my "used" drill to a "used" phallic toy. I don't think the GF would want a phallic toy that had been used, returned, and then resold. LMAO!

Eh, just spray it with starsan and your good to go.

At least you didn't buy a hard drive at Fry's and have it turn out to be a chunk of rock! Happened to a co-worker. That's one place where I open packages before leaving the store.

Wow.

At least around here, HD SUCKS and Lowe's is great.

You don't realize quite how crappy HD is until you go into a Lowe's.

I am sure it is different everywhere, but the problems I see at the HD here have got to go pretty high up.

Long lines at the 2 open registers, while 6-8 teenagers are within sight, in the office, watching tv.

Phuck that.

You can't walk through Lowe's without someone offering to help you, at HD, they won't even say hi.

Wow.

At least around here, HD SUCKS and Lowe's is great.

You don't realize quite how crappy HD is until you go into a Lowe's.

I am sure it is different everywhere, but the problems I see at the HD here have got to go pretty high up.

Long lines at the 2 open registers, while 6-8 teenagers are within sight, in the office, watching tv.

Phuck that.

You can't walk through Lowe's without someone offering to help you, at HD, they won't even say hi.

Its the complete opposite here. I still goes to lowes though since its closer.

every homedepot AND lowe's that i've been to has crappy customer service. customer service at menards stores i've been to is slightly better. i usually go to a "ma & pa" hardware store. :mug:

Can we trade Home Depots?

The one I frequent (less than 1/2 mile away) SUCKS but has gotten WAY better. At the peak of their suckiness I witnessed a customer approaching an employee, asking where something was, and getting an angry sounding "you'll have to wait - I'm busy" in return. The store has improved by leaps and bounds in the past couple years and I no longer find it necessary to drive 25 minutes each way to Lowes to get things.

Sounds like in your situation the return employee was lazy or the customer claimed the drill was unused. In the future it'd be prudent to check for such things before leaving the parking lot. Many manufacturers only accept returns if the item is defective - I'd be willing to bet the drill is sitting on a clearance table right now with 25%off.

Best thing about my Home Depot: the girl that normally works returns is smokin hot...

every homedepot AND lowe's that i've been to has crappy customer service. customer service at menards stores i've been to is slightly better. i usually go to a "ma & pa" hardware store. :mug:

The mom and pop store here seems to price gouge.

Last bad snow we had, the were selling tiny bags of ice melt for $10.

I drove past them (4wd) to Lowe's and got 4 times as much for the same price.

I know they can't get the price Lowe's can. I would have paid a buck or 2 more at M&P's but 4X THE PRICE????

At least you didn't buy a hard drive at Fry's and have it turn out to be a chunk of rock! Happened to a co-worker. That's one place where I open packages before leaving the store.

I've purchased a few things at Fry's. I've had good luck for the most part, but that is definitely one place you need to look at the box before you purchase. They have that warning sticker on returned items and it sure seems like they have a LOT of returned items!!

Mistakes, sometimes bad ones, are going to happen at ANY store. The test of the store is how they deal with the mistake and how they make it right. If you're going to give up on a store anytime a holiday temp makes a mistake stocking a shelf, you're going to need to get yourself a unibomber shack in the woods and start living off the land. :D

It sounds to me like they treated you right. They manned-up and fixed the problem, and gave you 10% on top of it.
I used HD for all of my construction supplies, and will price-check between them and Lowes for tools and the rest.

The most important question is...why are you buying Makita????? :D

I'm not saying I am giving up on them, I was just completely blown away that I bought a used tool. They made it right, I guess. In my opinion though, it shouldn't have even come up. They should have had it as an open box special or something... not sitting on the shelf as a new item. It had been returned, end of story. So now if I buy a grill, I have to check and see if someone has cooked with it before? Re-phuking-diculous. I had no idea KRAP like this is a common... On a side note, have been using Makita for years and have never had a complaint :p

and who says i don't have a shack already?

I have a few gripes against HD. Three separate occasions I went there for various projects and got less than acceptable assistance. Carpeting, cabinets and countertops. Had no problems when I asked about appliances for the kitchen, but ended up not buying there anyway. Carpeting I sat there for about 40 minutes until I got assistance, but the lady was busy and at least came every 10 minutes or so to let me know she hadn't forgotten about me. The cabinets and countertops, I was there for a half hour each time and noone even asked if I needed help. Both times I went to the customer service desk after about ten minutes to get help and was told the that the person was on break and would be there shortly. So both times, I brought my business elsewhere.

And the last complaint is with their credit card. I paid my bill in full and the next month I get a $2 interest charge. I thought this was crap so I called to get it reversed. On the phone, they told me they couldn't reverse it and that I would have to pay it. At this, I asked to have my account cancelled. When I got transferred to a different department, they told me that they would reverse it if I kept the account open. To this, I less than politely declined. I understand that this is just a bank or credit company, and not HD, but they choose to affiliate themselves with this company and should hold themselves equally accountable for their actions. It's their name on the card, not the bank.

Besides, I have a Lowes and Menards in town. I don't need HD.

I never go to Depot expecting one iota of customer service. It's reasonably convenient, but when I need help with something, I go online, or go to a specialty store. No sense ordering tile from Depot when I can drive to a great tile store, have better selection, get great advice from people who know their ****, and the folks there know me by name when I come in for the second time.

Depot's customer service locally has been a little bit better, but I figure the folks who work there mostly either never did any real construction work or failed out of the business. They're usually friendly enough, but I don't ask for anything more than to show me where they've hidden the teflon tape.

Lots of stores use the Policy of putting an item back after returned and then if it gets another complaint it gets taken off.

Lots of stores use the Policy of putting an item back after returned and then if it gets another complaint it gets taken off.

I work at a big box retail electric store and I have had to deal with this problem a few times. I don't know HD or Lowes policy on returned items; but if say a item comes back with the factory seal still intact the customer service reps will ask if its been open; but will not break the seal to insure it has never been opened and sealed carefully. But I know that people return items (good ol PS3') that they have stole and put another item in place (the best was a old PS1) and seal the factory seal on the box. New customer comes back and has this look of complete anger at my employees and of course screaming all holy hell. No way for my store to know whats in the hearts of thieves so we of course get the customer the item they want and ever knock off the price (or my favorite) gift cards.

All open items though at all retails should be marked and reduced obviously. And mistakes do happen. I always attempt to insure the customer is given the best deal possible (for the simple fact they had to return to the store even if they don't keep the opened item and gets a new in box) and the customer always gets a extra discount/$$ on gift card if they are friendly and understanding. Yelling customers or ones who threaten my employees are always treated the best way... full refund and good luck to ya. :D

jmendez99 reminded me of another reason i don't go to home depot.

about 6 years ago when the wife and i moved into our house, we remodeled the kitchen. got the cabinets and countertops from home depot. gave them the correct measurements so i know i did things right on my end of the deal. first mistake they made was a cabinet that was 2 inches short widthwise (and yes i did measure things correctly before giving them the measurements). second mistake they made was the coutertop was made wrong by means of being made the mirror oppisite of what it needed to be (i gave them a layout of the kitchen and where the cabinets/countertops were to go). and third mistake made was the countertop was at the store where we ordered the cabinets/countertops from for a week before they contacted us that the countertop was at the store. meanwhile, while the countertop was at the store, it was damaged to the point that the countertops had to be made again a third time. first time-countertop and cabinets made wrong demensions, second time-damaged countertop, third time- countertop finally made right. and the cabinets took two times before they were right.
mistakes do happen, but not that many mistakes for the same kitchen within 4-6 weeks.

I've got a good one. Before I deployed to Afghanistan, I bought a bunch of stuff to box up and have sent to me after I got settled in. One was a a set of Wal-Mart clippers so I could get free haircuts. I opened 'em up and hair clippings everywhere! I couldn't just drive to Wal-Mart and return them, either. I just said screw it and paid for haircuts. The barbers were cuties from former USSR so no big loss.

They made good after the bad situation. Step 1 Bad situation. Step 2 Made good.

I've bought several things at Home de Pot that were broken when I got them. Not just in need of tweaking, like small engines will usually be but, flat out broken. It was so bad that before I stopped shopping there, I asked them if they were selling defective returns or refurbished items as new.

It's Lowes and ACE now. Plenty more better.

O&BTW, the price of copper tube has gone down.

I've got a good one. Before I deployed to Afghanistan, I bought a bunch of stuff to box up and have sent to me after I got settled in. One was a a set of Wal-Mart clippers so I could get free haircuts. I opened 'em up and hair clippings everywhere! I couldn't just drive to Wal-Mart and return them, either. I just said screw it and paid for haircuts. The barbers were cuties from former USSR so no big loss.

:off:
HA! In Iraq all of the barbers were cute little Asian girls! It made getting a hair cut worth it... in fact I went in country both time with a bic'ed head and came home with a groomed dome. Its the little things!

i generally hate HD. Their prices are usually a little bit higher then lowes and they have a crappy selection compared to lowes. For example, its winter, HD pretty much clears out a lot of grilling supplies. In the winter, I cannot get cowboy charcoal or any wood chunks from HD. Lowes on the other hand has cowboy and NUMEROUS types of wood, including apple, which HD never has. I also prefer how lowes has their store laid out. The employees at HD usually have no idea what they are talking about BUT, there have been a few times where I have asked them something and they know what I am talking about. HD is about 2 min away and lowes is about 15, so it really depends on what kind of mood I am in.

Latest posts

Back