Home Bar Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmarshall1087

Reaction score
So I've been viewing this forum for months on end now, and have finally gotten around to renovating my basement, building my home bar, building my keezer all at the same time. Shortly I'll be getting into home brewing. For now, I figured I'd document my bar build so I'll with the below info.

I have a split basement (was a full basement but was semi-finished and split 9 years ago by previous homeowners). Bottom of stairs to the left is the equipment room (boiler, furnace, well pump, water softener, etc) and a storage/gym. Bottom of the stairs to the right is my blank canvas if you will.

The way the stairs/walls were configured, the first step was knocking down my interior stairwell wall, and building a knee wall so I had the ability to move materials from my garage to the basement. That proved to be a bit interesting, as I needed to re-route my electrical outlets and switches and I learned that the basement finish was not originally done to code!:smack:

Once that was done I had access to bring in all my materials for my bar and keezer build.

Bar will come first:

I am doing a split bar, with a bi-level front bar, and a single top back bar. The front bar will be for seating, and will house a mini fridge (sodas, bottled beer, canned beer, juices, etc) and a single zone wine refrigerator.
The back bar will enclose a 3 tap, 5 cu ft keezer, and will have shelving/displays for liquor, memorabilia, etc.

The width of both bar sections is 68". That fits snugly between the foundation wall, and the bathroom entrance, and the front bar sits approximately 70" from the wall as well. In later posts I'll draw out the designs in case anyone is interested (or cares). The front bar is mitered, allowing for a clean, 48" walk-thru between the inner foundation wall, and the bar top edge. This prevents any drunken fools from breaking their rib-cage on my bar tops.

Image 1: Mid floor- looking at the bar area (left of the bathroom door)
Image 2: Bar area- looking back at the stairs
Image 3: Bar area- Wine refridgerator and freezer to be converted.

More to come soon!

bar build 1.jpg

bar build 2.jpg

bar build 3.jpg

I would really consider putting the keezer in the room behind the bar and run the taps through the wall. There is a thread on here where a guy goes through his whole build. I did the same after I built a normal keezer (i filled the holes and ran it through the wall. I'll find the link and edit this post. I have four taps on mine but built it the same.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=598652
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=596537

That's a great thought! I had originally thought about doing that; but the room behind the bar is the fully finished basement bathroom. I really want to leave that room intact for a number of reasons; most basically because I love having a functional full bath right there, but more importantly for home tax purposes. We just got the bathroom approved, and I don't want to take that space up with the keezer that would fit perfectly under the otherwise unusable corner space.

That's a great thought! I had originally thought about doing that; but the room behind the bar is the fully finished basement bathroom. I really want to leave that room intact for a number of reasons; most basically because I love having a functional full bath right there, but more importantly for home tax purposes. We just got the bathroom approved, and I don't want to take that space up with the keezer that would fit perfectly under the otherwise unusable corner space.

Very good reason to not do through wall taps. Would have been perfect if that was a closet or utility room, but yeah not a bathroom lol. I suggested it based on my experience of building the traditional Keezer then seeing the thread I linked and completely changing my mind. But in your case s traditional keezer will be great and I’ll be following along with the build. Look forward to progress pics

So I got a bit more done on the bar build. I doubled down after a work trip and got the front bar about 90% completed. I finished the framing, attached the sheathing, attached the corrugate aluminum and pallet finishing, and rough cut the lower bar top. The lower bar top is just a piece of 3'x6' 1/2" stainable ply that was in the house when we bought it. I rough cut it to fit, and just need to plane some sections down to smooth it out. My wife recommended the corrugated aluminum and pallet strips; I like it, but not sure I love it. I figure if, down the line, I want to change it, I always can replace it with ply and oak trim.

Upper bar top, which has been rough cut but not completed yet is going to be 2 2x12x6 that will be glued up, cut to size, and pocket hole attached from under neath. I'll cut the corners down, sand it, stain it, and seal it and will post pictures of that when completed.

Bar is 43" from floor to upper bar top, and works perfectly with my barstools, and with the fact that the keezer with collar is 41" so with the back bar up it will be uniform.

Below are more pictures of the front bar progress; pardon the mess, active construction/drinking zone ;-)

Pic 1- Roughing out the keezer. It's an Idyllis 5.0 Cu FT freezer, with a 10" collar. I'll post more details and pics on that build when I get to there. Final parts are arriving Tuesday.

Pic 2- Started the framing of the bar, keezer and wine fridge in the background

Pic 3- Mid framing with the 4.0 cu ft mini fridge nestled inside. For the most part, its open inside to allow ventilation for the mini fridge and the wine fridge. I did allow enough set-back for each unit per the manufacturer, but didn't want to risk it. Noone will see it, and it keeps it cool. The left side of the bar will have a closed off shelf for books, equipment etc.

Pic 4- Framing complete, and sheathing on. Sheathing is 4x8x1/2" OSB. When we bought our first house, I had 10 sheets in my garage left over from flooring. Never used it and we've been carrying along on our moves. It has built 2 rounds of garage shelving, and now the bar. Works great as underlayment.

Pic 5-Semi finished front bar. Used reclaimed pallets from around the town as a finish. Mosaic patterned, with picture framing around it to tie it all together. I have to resize the closeup and the image of the front, but it ties in well with the corrugate aluminum. Definitely open to opinions on it, however, as I'm torn on how much I like it. Right now, the best part is that it was free!

I'm off to go do more work! Thanks for following along, and I'll post more soon!

bar build 4.jpg

bar build 5.jpg

bar build 6.jpg

bar build 7.jpg

bar build 10.jpg

Today was like Christmas for me! Keezer parts are arriving! I got the back bar 90% built. Framed, sheathed out, ready for finish and the bar top. Bar top is 3x 2x10's that I'm ripping down and glueing up. Walnut stain and a lot of poly and it'll be ready to go. I'll post some more pictures later.

Got the bar top built for the front bar. Two 2x12's ripped to make a clean joint, and glued up. Unfortunately, I bought my lumber from my local blue and orange stores, so the quality is sub-par, and it has a 24" crack forming. I'm going to epoxy the crack as part of finishing, plus i flipped the top around so the crack is on the edge thats getting cut down a bit.

As for the keezer, should a do a whole new thread for it? Or should I include it in this thread? What say you?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back