Holy Lord!! 7.0 GE chest freezers @ HD for $170?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will hold two bottling buckets or carboys without a collar or 5 corny kegs (with one on the hump) with a 2x10" collar. I plan on doing the same dual hinge system that josiah has pictured above.

4 or 3 on the floor depending on what type of keg you have and one on the hump with a 2x10. :)
Maybe 3 cornies and a carboy but you would have to use the hump.

I was out of town when the sale was on, and then managed to forget about it. I then went to HD about 8 days after the sale ended, and they still honored the price!
I now have a keezer with 4 cornies in it - a very tight squeeze, but I will only move them to wash and fill. (and when I have to put my upcoming Kölsch in it for secondary fermentation...)

I bought this chest freezer from HD about a month ago and am in the process of converting it to a keezer. With a 2x10" collar it will hold 5 ball lock cornies (although it is a snug fit)

img1353y.jpg

img1354z.jpg

img1355e.jpg

I used the factory hinges to support the collar and bought a pair of 3" standard hinges to hinge the lid.

kmat - Nice buddy! :rockin:

It looks like our keezers are brothers from another mother. How are you liking the double hinge set up? I found those 3 inch hinges to be almost the perfect size.
I have yet to install shanks and taps in mine (waiting for a perlick Christmas) so opening just the top works great for the picnic taps I'm using for the time being.

Finally got the delivery from Home Depot today! But, with the delay, I had everything planned and all the parts on hand. Only I forgot how hard it is to make a square and level box using 2x10's without a jointer and planer! Oh well...

Also, in the time that passed I got a good deal on a stout faucet so I decided to up the tap count to 5 - just need have to wait for another shank to be delivered. And, the drip tray.

Construction is the same as the others - 2x10 box and double hinged.

Only thing I don't like so far is I've bumped the taps on a few times while dropping kegs in. Guess it's best to disconnect all the liquid out's before changing kegs (and use the hump for the most frequently changed keg).

keezer_front1.JPG

keezer_inside_1.JPG

keezer_inside_2.JPG

The extra time also allowed me to build out the pipeline so 5 kegs were ready to drop in, and there's a lot more on the way!

pipeline.JPG

Can't think of a better way to start the new year!! A special thanks to those who built this freezer out before me for the design ideas which I shamelessly borrowed. :mug:

yeah mine came a week ago... need to get the temp controller wired in. wanna cold crash a couple before i start lagering in it.

Nice pdbreen! :) Love the pics. I'll be posting final pics of mine once my perlick's come in.

It took me a month to find a new ~7 cu ft chest freezer in the entire SF Bay Area, so I didn't mind paying $199 for mine. Here she is, just loosely fit together, I still need to figure out how I'm going to finish the collar. Right now its just bare 2x8 Douglas Fir. Right now I'm just leaning towards some kind of clear sealant, I think it might match the tap handles pretty well at that point. Any suggestions?

keezer2.jpg

It took me a month to find a new ~7 cu ft chest freezer in the entire SF Bay Area, so I didn't mind paying $199 for mine. Here she is, just loosely fit together, I still need to figure out how I'm going to finish the collar. Right now its just bare 2x8 Douglas Fir. Right now I'm just leaning towards some kind of clear sealant, I think it might match the tap handles pretty well at that point. Any suggestions?

keezer2.jpg

Nice looking piece. I've always loved the look of Douglas with a nice mild cherry stain on it... but it's your baby, so it's your call. :mug:

Which version of the slide in tap handles are those? I've been considering going that route on mine.

keezer2.jpg

Nice, I'm getting tired of the picnic taps on mine. I think you've inspired me to buy some Perlicks and build a collar!

Looks nice. Any clear sealant should get you close to the tap handles. I love the look of natural wood so I'm digging what you got going on there. :)

I've had to put off buying perlicks because I decided I wanted to get my keezer pouring 5 taps and to do that I needed to buy other stuff, so 5 picnic taps for the time being.
Keep em coming if you got em put together yet. :)

Nice looking piece. I've always loved the look of Douglas with a nice mild cherry stain on it... but it's your baby, so it's your call. :mug:

Which version of the slide in tap handles are those? I've been considering going that route on mine.

Thanks, I'm thinking about staining it, but I guess then I'ld have to paint the tap handles white? Those handles are from Northern Brewer. I like them but the top piece (that slides in behind your label) is kind of loose and flops around, I'm gonna have to find a way to make it fit tighter, that's my only gripe.

I wen't to buy one of these about 2 months ago and HD was sold out. I went over to Lowe's to see if they had anything. They did, and if you mention that HD has them for that price, Lowe's will match HD's price and beat by 10%.

what length of shank was used in your collar? i was thinking of making a collar out of 2by4 or 2by6.

what do you think?

what length of shank was used in your collar? i was thinking of making a collar out of 2by4 or 2by6.

what do you think?

If you want 5 kegs, you have to use 2x10's - even with 2x8's the lid won't close properly on a ball lock keg on the hump. If you only want 4 kegs, then either 2x4's or 2x6's will work, but may be very tight with all the tubing and if you're thinking of having 4 secondary regulators, it'd be difficult to find room to mount them. I'd recommend 2x10's - with the temp controller set at 45, it's rarely ever on.

I used 3 inch shanks - but the ones that have the tail piece already welded on which means you don't need as much thread. I have one 3" shank with the separate tail piece and there's just enough thread to make it work if I didn't use the lock washer.

I am able to fit a fifth keg on the hump with a 2x8 collar, but I'm not going to be serving off that keg, its possible the lid might not close all the way if there were disconnects on it.

I can't believe how efficient these freezers are. I have it set at 44 and the compressor is hardly ever on, and I only have one keg in there right now. I was also worried about noise because it's less than 10 feet from my couch, but I can barely hear it when its on. Now I'm only worried about getting fat, haha.

Oh F, I didn't realize slims will fit. :ban:

Sweet!!!!! :rockin: I may have to go hunting.

So I have 4 out of my 5 taps rocking right now. I can't seem to brew enought to get that 5th one flowing.
Right now its~
Chinook IPA
Blood Orange Hefe
Dead Guy clone
Apfelwein

I just worked it at Home Depot for a screamin' deal on their 7.0 cuft freezer! Let's start with a little background for some suspense...So I missed the sale in the fall. I'd gone back in December and asked if they'd honor the sale price but they couldn't. Well, I got $150 HD gift card from my father-in-law (who loves my homebrew so he's all too quick to help support my hobby) and a $50 gift card from something else. Now I had the $200 to get the 7.0 cuft one if I chose or I could pay $168 for the 5 cuft one. A friend of mine told me recently that HD will give you 10% off if you open up an HD credit card and HD also advertises that they'll match and beat by 10% any competitors price. So I asked the HD fella if that meant I could get 20% off because I told him that Lowes has a similar fridge for the same price and he agreed to it. So I opened the HD card and got my 20% right then and there. I paid for it with my gift cards and I'll cut up/cancel the HD card as soon as I get it. So, in the end I got the 7.0 cuft freezer for $159.57, $10 cheaper than the regular priced 5 cuft one and cheaper, I think, than the sale price in the fall that this original post is all about!! I have some extra money now to put towards the taps I'll put on it!!:ban: :rockin: :mug:

I encourage all to go get the same deal.

Yes they do, you can occasionally find a IPA 12 pack for 10.99 at Rite Aid here, just an FYI to anyone. It is always a unadvertised sale so you have to go into the store.
Nice! The local Costco here has great prices on a case, $21.99 which works out at the same (actually, yer paying a penny less!)

Question... This chest freezer has the temp settings 1 through 7 with 7 the coldest... How cold is number 1? Still freezing?

I guess what I'm getting at is, I still need a love control or something, right?

Can anyone confirm if this freezer will hold a 6.5 gallon ale pale and 6 gallon better bottle?

Yes it will. Or two ale pales, or two six gallon better bottles. I made sure of this before I bought it, just like you're doing. You can also squeeze four ball lock kegs in there if you decide to convert it to a keezer.

I noticed it has the temperature gauge on the front. Are y'all removing it when you install your own regulator? Does it leave a gaping hole? I'd like to get this freezer and paint it black but was curious what it looked like with the gauge removed.

Back