Holiday 7/GE 7 - Shank Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezy

Reaction score
I'm about to buy my SS shanks, gonna use 1x10 for collar and line insides with blue foamboard for insulation (not sure what size yet, need to make a lowes run). Anyone used 4 1/8" shanks in this or should I go with 3"? Not sure how much the 4" will get in the way so checking to see what you all went with.

Thanks!

as long as you went with 1" or less foam I don't see why the 3" wouldn't work. I went with the Holiday and a 2x6's FYI.

If you want, I can take a picture of mine tonight after work for you. I've got a 2x6 collar on mine with 4 1/8" shanks. They don't seem to get in the way too much.

Here's some pics of my GE 7.0 keezer collar with the 6-inch shanks.

The collar is 2x10 and the shanks extend inside the keezer about 3-inches; 4-inches total if you include the nipple attachments that are attached to the shanks.

I read elsewhere that longer shanks help keep the entire beer line cold since more of the shank is exposed to the cold inside the keezer. This is supposed to help prevent excessive foaming.

shanks.jpg

shanks2.jpg

Thanks Iffy! It looks like I'll be fine with the 3" shanks with the 1x10. I keep seeing alot of 2x pics out there, you decide to use 2x just for more support from kegs hitting it?

I went with 2x6s because I didn't feel like cutting 45* angles in a 1x6 and having to get clamps and what not to glue it all together. With the 2x6s all I needed was a cordless drill and some screws. Plus I didn't need it to look pretty because it's sitting in my basement.

Back