Hoist a keg -- Back Saver

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
So, not really a DIY yet. I plan to alter it to function more along the lines of how I intend it to function... i.e. Install an electric winch. I think this is going to be an AWESOME addition to my brewery!

My company and department I work with now (for a few more days at least) got this contraption about a year ago. It's a bariatric patient trapeze. It is meant to slide under a hospital bed and allow a patient to grab the trapeze bar to reposition in bed. So, we had no use for this thing and are cleaning house... I mentioned I could use it and they told me to take it! It's got a 1,000 pound rating and is VERY sturdy. This is the exact application I hoped it would work for. It straddles the chest freezer perfectly and has enough height to add a small electric hoist and spreader bar to hoist 1/2bbl Sanke Fermentors in and out of the chest chamber. It sure will help save the wear and tear on my back!

2014-12-30%2018.00.41%20%28Copy%29.jpg

That is essentially what I am going to do. I have an engine hoist and will be doing the same thing.

So I had a suggestion from someone to mount a boat winch to the back and run pulleys over the top and along the boom. I'm thinking a self-braking boat winch would be awesome in this application. No need for electricity... just crank away! Only downside I see to that the pick point is always at the end of the boom if I run over the top...

You might be missing something. Once you get your set up done use the scale to dry weights of your kegs and mark them on each. Then you can hook up to that keg in service and know how much beer you have left. Very nice.

Back