Hmmm, too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapo

Reaction score
Hey all,
I know there's been a lot of discussion lately as to temps, and I was hoping someone might have a different sort of advice. My situation is that now that I have power in my brewing space, I would like to also keep my finished brew in there, so that I follow the agreement I made with SWMBO to not have the stuff in the house. So I moved things around, got the mock fireplace alongside a power outlet, and its been going nonstop the past two days.
I've set the thermostat on it to the lowest setting, but when I walk in there its warmer than the house! The house is usually about 70 degrees :S
What would the happy medium be to avoid hot ferm but also let me bottle carb/condition?

One idea I had is to get a thermostat and wire it right to the fireplace to control it that way- is this essentially the same as the STC unit mentioned elsewhere on HBT?

For most ale yeast strains, you'll want the ambient temperature in the lower 60s (F). Remember that fermentation is an exothermic reaction which creates it's own heat, so the temperature of the fermenting beer is usually at least a few degrees higher than ambient during active fermentation.

Your bottles might carb up a little slower at 62ºF than they would at 75ºF, but you're fermenting beer will be MUCH happier.

Note that each and every yeast strain you use has a different 'ideal' fermentation temperature range. If you use belgian yeast strain for example, you can crank up your temps for a while.

cheers!

So what you're saying is I should get a move on and bottle the two batches left in their fermenting vessels (one since Dec 1, and one since Dec 23) so I can start doing some Belgians which I was going to do anyway! ;-) hahaha

You can make a cooling unit for your fermenters. which can be as simple as a large container filled up with water ( at least half way up your fermentor) and some frozen water bottles bobbing around. That way you and your bottled beer can be warm and you new beer can stay cool.

Back