HLT build day...smooth as a bed of nails.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_cad

Reaction score
So today I decided to tackle my HLT build. I watched some of the standard videos like the ones BobbyM does and then had a homebrew to muster up the courage to start cutting. Safety glasses...Check. Ear protection....Check. Correct cutting wheel size for grinder...FAIL! So of to home depot I go. I was looking at the cut-off wheels and realized I wasn't sure what I needed and then spotted some ROTO-ZIP Cut-off wheels for my Zip Saw made for cutting baseboards and stuff. I bought 2 of them and headed home. Started cutting and it felt like cutting thru butter.....unfortunately it was because the cutting wheel was wasting away to nothing. Long story short...I blew thru both cutting wheels and didnt get half way thru the keg top. So I broke out the sawz all and went to town. It took me 2 blades of the sawz all and lots of grinding to finally get something that looked decent. So then I installed the weldless bulkhead and sight glass/thermo combo. I decided to fill with some test water to look for leaks and it was leaking like a sieve.....then I closed the valve. :eek:
I finally got to calibrating the sight glass and when I got to the top I was 1 gallon short....hmmm how can a 15.5 gallon keg only hold 14 gallons....apparently I can not count. Overall it was one of those days you sometimes have while brewing...where nothing seems to go right but in the end you make a good ass beer. I made a good ass HLT today and enjoyed the beautiful weather and my wonderful hobby as a homebrewer. It was better than going to work! :D

Good luck man. Im doing my HLT and MLT Tomorrow and I have never used a angle grinder with a cutting wheel before lol

Sounds like you did pretty good, to get all that done in one day. That would be a month of weekends for me, I spread the work out.

You do lose about a gallon or so of volume when you cut the top out.

OK now I am really confused. I just recalibrated my sight glass on an AB 15.5 keg and it only holds 14 gallons filled up to the brim where I cut it. is it possible the tiny little dome that I cut off is another 1.5 gallons?

OK now I am really confused. I just recalibrated my sight glass on an AB 15.5 keg and it only holds 14 gallons filled up to the brim where I cut it. is it possible the tiny little dome that I cut off is another 1.5 gallons?

Flip the little dome over and see how much it holds.

Back