Higher Fermentation Temp for 2nd Week of Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdawg86

Reaction score
I am brewing an extract brunch stout from NB which has been in primary for 7 days @ 68 degrees in my fermentation chamber. It is also sharing space with a IPA kit which has been in 14 days and I just added dry hops which I will need to cold crash very soon.

My brunch stout had OG of 1.081 and is currently at 1.022 as of this morning which puts me currently at 71% attenuation (Wyeast 1028 London Ale with 73-77% attenuation). Although visual signs of fermentation are semi meaningless, it does appear to be close to being "done".

My question is this. Would it be a bad idea to place my stout (still in primary container) into a closet in my house (76° ambient) for it's final week in primary so I can crank the temp down do begin cold crashing my IPA? Fementation is pretty close to the FG based on apparent attenuation, so I don't know if there would be any harm in the higher temperature. I imagine I may pick up a few gravity points but want to know if there is any possibility of off flavors when at the higher temp.

If you just added dry hops you have at least 4 days before crashing....by then your other beer will be done....sounds like a non issue

No off flavors will develop in the stout being at a warmer ambient after active fermentation is over.

I dry hop my IPA's for 7 days. I just let the beer drop to the ambient of 66°F before bottling.

I dry hopped the first round in primary for 3 days per instructions, racked to secondary on top of new dry Hops yesterday. We would have about 7 days total of dry hop time...I figured I should be at cold crash temps at the end of my 3 days of dry hopping this round, but maybe I'm over thinking this. I wasn't sure if the longer the beer was in Hops, the stronger the flavors would be (which I don't want).

I guess I'll just go with the "non issue" and keep everything where it's at now and rack my stout to secondary when I cold crash, then store in secondary at my home ambient of 76.

I would leave the stout in the primary if you are not sure if the fermentation is done. Racking to a secondary vessel may prevent the stout from dropping in gravity any further. No problem leaving a beer on the yeast until it clears.

Back