High % Wheat conversion problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matchrocket

Reaction score
So its clear, this isn't the normal efficiency problem question, least I don't hope so. :)

I've been brewing with my RIMS system now for ~3 years and am extremely consistent with extraction efficiency batch to batch. Typically hit with-in +/- 1% run-to-run. This is over 150+ gallons of beer.

That being said, this beer (Dunkle) I've historically done via double Decoction and coolers. I've recent donated my coolers to a new brewer, and moved this recipe over to BRUTUS. I just finished brewing it to day, and missed my extraction numbers horribly.

The grain bill consists of 55% White Wheat, 42% Munich 10 and 3% Chocolate 340, and when decocoted always gets a 20min protein mash. On brutus, I went straight to my normal sac temp of 153 for 60m with a mash-out @ 168 for 15 min and slow sparge (30m).

I undershot my OG by 10pts, preboil was also very low.... There was also quite a bit more potential in the mash-tun than normal as my running's when boil volume was hit were 10pts higher than normal... (Hmmm)

So, my question is. When using this much wheat, do I need to use a even slower sparge? (Hour lets say) Or did the lack of protein rest cause my issues here (Struggling to see how)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Really want to understand where I went sideways here.

my thought would be the fact that you did not do a decoction with this batch led to your lowered efficiency.

my last two decoction-mashed brews were seven and ten percent higher efficiency than i normally get when simply using a sacc rest and mashout.

everything i've read on decoction mashing points toward an increased efficiency. (and especially when using under-modified malt)

don't know whether that is the difference here, but thought i'd share.

Good point... I after reviewing my notes on this beer, I was typically higher than when using coolers in days past vs other beers. I also haven't used this much wheat on this system before. Combo of the two maybe. Next round I'll add a protein rest to it, and bump up my bill a little...

live and learn! :mug:

good luck on figuring this out. efficiency can be an elusive mistress to track down. i haven't gotten her yet.

let us know how goes the next dunkel.

Back