High temperature affecting the beer in my secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigCatBrewery

Reaction score
I've been scouring Google looking for an answer - thus far unsuccessfully.

I have a Porter aging in my secondary, in a corner of the house which has facilitated both primary fermentation and secondary aging at temperatures pretty consistently in the high 60's, which I have been happy with. All signs of fermentation had dissapeared from the secondary, and then a uncharacteristic Central California heat wave hit, and I was unable to keep the house at anything below 80 during the day. I threw a wet towel around it to help evap-cool it, but am curious: what are the affects of high temp after most fermentation is over? Is it hazardous? Mildly (hopefully)? Any takers?

The only thing you might have is a little more ester production but otherwise I'd say you'll be fine. One trick that I used to do was to get a big plastic tote or something that will hold water up to about half way on your carboy and freeze some water bottles. Wrap the wet towel around it and make sure the ends of the towel stay in the water and throw a few frozen water bottles in with it to keep it cool. Also, I used to use a white towel and put a cap full of bleach in the water to keep it from getting funky over the course of a couple of weeks.

If your beer finished fermenting before you racked, then there's little if any issues with warm temps in secondary. Off flavors come during yeast activity if heat is too high, NOT if the beer is simply melding, aging and clearing in a secondary. The yeast shouldn't be active in secondary and therefore won't be creating off flavors.

Also, I used to use a white towel and put a cap full of bleach in the water to keep it from getting funky over the course of a couple of weeks.

I was thinking about the funk today. Good idea. Though I doubt this heat will continue. +70 in Monterey is unheard of. I'm hoping the esters don't develop too much - don't really want them in the Porter.

Latest posts

Back