High Gravity Electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wdp1967

Reaction score
Just bit the bullet and upgraded to a 3 vessel 15 Gallon all electric from High Gravity. Can't wait for its arrival!! Anyone using one that can offer any tips or tricks about the system?

Thanks

Walt

Just bit the bullet and upgraded to a 3 vessel 15 Gallon all electric from High Gravity. Can't wait for its arrival!! Anyone using one that can offer any tips or tricks about the system?

Thanks

Walt
Walt,

A link to what you bought would help a lot for us helping you in your mission..

Thanks. (Jusy saying)

P-J

Walt,

I wish you the very best.

The site you linked is very complex (for this very old man) and difficult to navigate to your system.

It took me a while to just get past there entry 'stuff' and then trying to find the system???

Wishing you the BEST.

P-J

Walt:

I'm sure you won't be tempted to balance your beautiful new Blichmann's full of boiling wort on top of plastic milk boxes as is depicted on that site. Because THAT would be insane :)

But it looks like a great setup. I used that chiller for a while and found that it collected a lot of hops material - YMMV. I eventually switch to a counterflow chiller which has been working well for me.

I just switched to all electric and the first two brews are under my belt. Not too many issues during the first two brews but I figure I will still be dialing in the system for another few brews.

Don't sweat questions of efficiency, volumes etc at first - take your best guess and take careful notes about your guesses and then what actually happens and you will learn how to work with your system over time.

Have a ball! Got your first couple of recipes planned yet? Start with something you've brewed before or at least something fairly simple. Don't go for the triple-hopped Barleywine just yet :)

Thanks and no milk crates. 😄
I have cabinets in my garage that I plan on using, just figured I'd put some pot holders or something underneath the pots.

Not sure what I will be brewing first with it but I will keep the first few brews simple. I have a counter flow chiller already so I will use it if I have issues.

Walt

Just picked up the same configuration myself and plan to assemble this weekend. Maybe we can keep this thread going to discuss how it goes. Steve.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Cool, let me know how it goes, I ordered mine on Tuesday but do not know when it will ship.

Got lucky, there is room in my electrical panel so will be running a 240 circuit this weekend.

Walt

WooHoo!!! Got the shipped notice today!! I can't wait!! Been out of the hobby for a year now due to a move, had to sell my more beer tippy dump sculpture, could not afford to put it on the moving truck. I'm psyched and ready to brew!!

Walt

High Gravity's build your own system looks pretty awesome. A few questions...

1. It looks like the HERMS package will include some plastic quick disconnects. I want to build a 2 pump system and put QD's everywhere. For the remaining QD's that I'd need, can I buy stainless steel QD's? Would I be able to use a stainless steel male QD from a hose connecting into the plastic female QD?
  2. If I buy the "Heating Element - 5500W Stainless Steel Twist-Loc Plug w/ Weldless kit", is there anything else I need to buy to install the element into the kettle? Do I need to enclose it in a junction box?
  3. If I buy the heat exchanger for the HLT and forgo the HERMS package, they'll still drill the holes in the lid for the heat exchanger, right?
  4. I assume they'll drill holes for the heating elements and thermometers?
  5. I know every build is different, but what are some things you bought outside of the package? Either because they aren't offered or there are better deals elsewhere?

Just got mine today!! Yayyy!! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414022384.516336.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1414022398.988339.jpg

It's awesome! To bad I got to leave Saturday for a couple weeks for work, and won't be able to brew till I get back.

Put it all together, which was pretty easy, running it now with water checking for leaks. So far so good.

HLT set at 175 my water comes out of the tap at 60, took maybe 15 minutes to get up to 175. Pretty happy with that. Hooked up the hoses to be in recirculating mode, took another 15 or 20 to get the MT up to 154.

It's well made and I can't wait to use it for real!!

As for your questions you asked, I think you should call Dave at High Gravity. He should be able to answer most if not all of your questions.

Walt

What is the knob on the side for, boil control?

mgmarty what's in the copper tubes?

The vertical tube is my RIMS tube. The horizontal tube has a screen in it, a filter if you will. The system was built by a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

augiedoggie, I never have been able to figure out why folks fidgit with a PID for boiling. Temp required varies with atmospheric conditions, just gimmie a knob.

mgmarty, that's some friend! Beautiful system.

augiedoggie, I never have been able to figure out why folks fidgit with a PID for boiling. Temp required varies with atmospheric conditions, just gimmie a knob.

mgmarty, that's some friend! Beautiful system.

Well in fairness my el cheapo $20 mypin TD4 pids have "manual mode" which really is just as easy to maintain a consistent boil with... I set my pids to climb to 207 degrees and set the alarm and go do something else in the house like a load of laundry or sterilize my fermentor and when my alarm goes off I set my pid to "manual mode by holding the "M" button for 2 seconds and set my duty cycle to 65% and stir to prevent boilover until its no longer needed...
It really like the knob on a radio or tv vs push button.... Older folks like my dad usually prefer the knobs because hes more comfortable with it. they both work fine though...
High Gravity likely went that way for cost reasons (I'm surprised they used the expensive auber brand pids at all)....I see they use the same home depot $30 enclosure I did along with about $150 in additional hardware ($100 for the pids alone)... I'm not sure what they are charging for the panel but for under $200 in hardware I bet they are asking at least twice that for them.

About $1100 for the 3-D system. You figure the cost of making something like this for a consumer market, it's not that bad. Kal's system is nice as well, but the DIY kit comes in at $1900. :confused:

About $1100 for the 3-D system. You figure the cost of making something like this for a consumer market, it's not that bad. Kal's system is nice as well, but the DIY kit comes in at $1900. :confused:

This is going to be my only post on this here since My intent isnt really to bash High Gravities efforts (I applaud them for thier efforts and cant blame them for the fact that they realize that supply and demand for these allows them to charge very high markups for thier "DIY kits" ) but I'm just trying to keep people informed of the reality and the post above proves that its needed here

Kals system is mpstly top dollar components and many of his links are for sellers that charge more but cost wasnt his main concern or perhaps a concern at all while he was building. That said, there is a large difference in component costs between Kals and High Gravities systems..
Despite what so many keep repeating and want you to believe you really can build a safe reliable system for much less...
This is mine built in the same enclosure as High gravity uses... the difference mine does much more and still cost under $300 total to build...
I have started another thread on recent changes I made to this panel recently and will be including information on the rest of my system for those on a budget.
A lot of the ideas I got from someone else here including the basic wiring for miy control panel which is actually one of PJ's diagrams with minor changes.

IMG_20141026_132451_903.jpg

IMG_20141026_143730_358.jpg

What I want to believe?? No sir. I'm not bashing anything either, my apologies if I sound that way. HGB and Kal make very nice panels. Kal does use very high quality industrial components. I can't speak to HGB's product as I have not seen a parts list.

Your panel is nice as well, my only issue with Kal's, and your's for that matter, is they have capabilities I have no intention of using. I'd rather roll my own and only pay for I use as well.

What I want to believe?? No sir. I'm not bashing anything either, my apologies if I sound that way. HGB and Kal make very nice panels. Kal does use very high quality industrial components. I can't speak to HGB's product as I have not seen a parts list.

Your panel is nice as well, my only issue with Kal's, and your's for that matter, is they have capabilities I have no intention of using. I'd rather roll my own and only pay for I use as well.
I wasn't implying you directly but rather the general con census here.. as the panels having f different bells and whistles that's very true... but then I just tore me apart and added more bells and whistles after learning I could really use them. anyway the beauty of making your own if you can build it any way you like instead of spending four to five hundred dollars an hour to have someone else put it together for you. if someone is not comfortable doing it themselves that's fine but I think they should know what kind of costs are really involved and what they're really paying for.

To those that purchased the High Gravity systems, what are your thoughts so far? Have you had to make any process changes? Any feedback on how your brew day has changed?

I just ordered a new system from them and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Just curious on those that have had a few months to use theirs.

Back