High Flow supply of RO water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHilgeman

Reaction score
For my brewing system, I use a flash boiler or instant hot water heater. It has a PID with a bypass valve to create hot water at whatever temp I need. This is obviously dependent on having a high flow (tap) connection.

When heating RO water for more delicate beers I end up using my kettle to heat the mash and sparge water.

I Keg, so I have corneys available, and high pressure CO2, so is there any way to get RO water in a keg and pressurized and flowing at levels equivalent to the tap on the wall?

I am thinking fill it with 4 gal and pressurize to 90 PSI, but I would imagiune the dip tube and post would reduce the flow a bit.

Any other ideas?

City water pressure is normally 40-60 psi and your on demand water heater should be able to run within that range. Have you looked to see the requirements?

The tricky part is getting it out of the keg with the correct psi as you say since your water supply will most likely run on 1/2 supply line from the city and will be the size requirement for the heater.

Reducing the size will definitely push back the psi but the good news is those cornies can hold up to about 130psi I believe but check your tank! Only bad side is I see you burning thru CO2 fast.

an instant hot water heater will be able to operate at lower flow rates; theoretically all the way from zero flow rate and up. it will simply reduce the duty cycle of the heater if the water isnt flowing quickly. there is no need for high volume on most instant hot water heaters (atleast not on most heaters that measure the output temperature and control the power level of the heater accordingly).

Any other ideas?
buy an actual RO water holding tank?

You could gang two or three or more kegs together with a simple manifold to accomplish the flow rate you are after.

Why use CO2? Just use compressed air. If you pressurized the kegs only when needed, you would not likely cause any undesireable amounts of gases to become disolved in the water. The temperature of the water in the kegs would also discourage gases from disolving.

Back