High ABV question on latest Extract Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to brew the New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone from BYO Magazine. I did the extract version, details of recipe below. I did some things a little differently than what the recipe calls for. I have noted those changes below in the recipe in BOLD font.

Everything went well during the brew day. What happened though, was my FG reading was 1.083!!! Not sure how this happened, b/c the biggest things I changed were the amount of hops, which I wouldn't think it would make a difference for the gravity reading. I have let the beer ferment for 13 days now (was out on business travel for the last half). I took a gravity reading last night and it was down to 1.004!!!! So fermentation is done... So in went the dry hops for a week.

With that being said, my ABV reading as of now would be about 10.37! That is much higher then expected. Does anyone know what might have caused this? I tasted the sample from the gravity reading and it tasted fine. Just flat warm beer. I'm assuming the cane sugar I used is the biggest culprit, but that is just my assumptions being a newbie still (although yeast needs sugar to ferment and make alcohol). Any ways, if anyone know why this may have happened, please let me know. If it was only slightly higher, say 7-8% ABV I wouldn't be so concerned, but this is way up there!!! Also, I will post back next week after it's been kegged and sampled for an update.

Here is one thing to note about the brew day that might help.

Final wort was 2.5 gallons after boil off. I topped to 5.5 gallons to account for the collection ball loss from my FastFerment conical fermentor.

Thanks in advance everyone! :mug:

New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone (BYO Magazine)

Batch Details:
5 gallons/19 L, Extract with grains
OG = 1.059 FG = 1.009 IBU = 70 SRM = 7 ABV = 6.5%

Ingredients:
4.5 lbs. (2 kg) Briess light dried malt extract
1 lb. (0.45 kg) cane sugar (15 min.) - Didn't have a scale, used 2 cups.
1 lb. 13 oz. (0.82 kg) pale malt
4 oz. (113 g) crystal malt (120 L)
12 AAU Chinook hops (60 min.) (1 oz./28 g at 12% alpha acids)
6.5 AAU Simcoe hops (30 min.) (0.5 oz/14 g at 13% alpha acids)
3.8 AAU Cascade hops (15 min.) (0.75 oz./21 g at 5% alpha acids) - Used 1 oz.
0.5 oz. (14g) Chinook hops (0 min.)
0.5 oz. (14g) Simcoe hops (0 min.)
1 oz. (28g) Cascade hops (0 min.)
2.5 oz. (71g) Cascade hops (dry hop) - Used 3 oz.
Wyeast 1792 (Fat Tire Ale), Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II), or White Labs WLP051 (California Ale V) yeast - Used Wyeast 1272.
3/4 cup corn sugar (if priming)

Step by Step:
Steep grains in 3 qts. (2.8 L) of water at 148 F (64 C) for 45 minutes (did one gallon instead of 3 qts.). Add water to make 4 gallons (15 L) of wort and bring to a boil. Stir in roughly half of the dried malt extract and boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at times indicated. Add remaining malt extract and cane sugar for final 15 minutes of the boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Top up to 5 gallons (19 L) with cool water, aerated and pitch yeast (pitching temp about 62 degrees). Ferment at 68 F (20 C). Dry hop in secondary or keg for one week.

my guess is your readings are not accurate. 2 cups of sugar doesn't even weigh 1#, so that's not it. If your wort volume is correct, that's not it either. I assume you are taking readings with hydrometer? Did you take reading at/around 60°? Is the hydro accurate?

not to mention an extract getting down to 1.004 seems a little odd to me.

Top off water often makes readings wonky from stratification. Unless you didn't top up, you were probably 1.055-1.060.

Yes I'm using a hydrometer. Actually purchased this one and it seems to be accurate from previous brews.

Hydrometer (Triplescale) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O94I0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I did take the reading around 62 degrees. I did it twice actually. Once before I topped off with water then one later after topping with water and mixing it very well. Both times the original reading was right around 1.083 which I was shocked by. The reading I took the other night I didn't test the temperature of the wort but the room temp was around 68 degrees.

Now that I think of it I'm not sure if this would make a difference. I used the wort for my sample from the collection ball. So it was sitting right on top of the trub and yeast. Would that make a big difference?? I wouldn't think so but again I'm still new and learning.

Thanks everyone!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait... you took a SG reading before topping off, and then after, and they were the same???

:confused:

Believe it or not, 2 cups of sugar is supposed to weigh about 1 pound. I ran the numbers through the brewing calculator and came up with 1.052/1.014, assuming 74% attenuation for your yeast. Trub should not affect your hydrometer reading, since it measures the density of the liquid itself and not the suspended particles. Usually I would think you had too much fermentables or not enough water, but that's been ruled out. I'm stumped.

Wait... you took a SG reading before topping off, and then after, and they were the same???

:confused:

Yeah I'm surprised too!!! I usually take the reading after I top off and mix well. But this day I was rushing a bit and took it before I even moved it from the kettle to the conical. Then I realized just before I pitched the yeast, wow my OG seems way too high!!! So I took it again and it was right around the same mark (1.083). I thought the numbers would be different as well. I'm stumped on this...

The numbers are so different than expected I checked it multiple times. I would pull out the hydrometer, rinse it off, drop it in and spin it. Wait a minute and check the reading.

Note to self, from now on take a pic of the readings too. Not just write it down in my logs. ;-)

That's impossible. Your wort cannot be the same SG after you add water.

That hydrometer is probably faulty. It's the one common key.

Yeah you could very well be right and I thought the same. This is all very strange to me. The hydrometer has only been used 2-3 times (well brews) and has been very accurate till this point. I take care of it and it stays in the case stored away when not used. Never dropped or mishandled. But then again it could be bad.

All I know is even after the water top off was well mixed it read very high and then after 13 days it read really low. I guess time will tell after I'm done dry hopping it and see how it tastes, and if it has a strong alcohol taste to it. Or I get a good buzz on just one!! LOL

Thanks everyone for your input. Like I said, I'll report back next week with an update. Cheers!!!

Ok I'm an idiot and this what I get for looking over everything so late at night and posting. I double checked my notes this morning and I did two gravity readings before pitching the yeast. My notes said the first one was taken at a temp of 78 degrees and the second one was at 62, but both had the same reading. I never took one after topping off with water.

Sorry for any confusion but that was a mistake on my part. Still this has me wonder why the ABV is so high??

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and input!!!

My notes said the first one was taken at a temp of 78 degrees and the second one was at 62, but both had the same reading. I never took one after topping off with water.

Sorry for any confusion but that was a mistake on my part. Still this has me wonder why the ABV is so high??
The abv isn't as high as you think...if you did not take a proper gravity reading after topping off with water and thoroughly mixing it first, the OG was lower than what you recorded....plain and simple. Especially, if I understand you correctly....
Final wort was 2.5 gallons after boil off. I topped to 5.5 gallons
.... you added 3 gallons H2O to 2.5 gallons of wort that you gravity tested, am I understanding this correctly? Your original gravity was lower than you think ...way lower, looking at the recipe

Did you taste it? Even in an IPA that much alcohol should be really noticable. Especially with such a low FG. My guess is that there was stratification even after stirring and your thief pulled from the heavy stuff at the bottom. Taste alone should tell you if the readings were right though.

I tasted it when I did the second reading the other day. It did not have a high alcohol punch to it.

Ok that all makes sense and makes me feel better that my assumption was correct. OG sample without the additional water will give it a "false" or inaccurate reading. The OG reading should be closer to what was expected.

Thank you guys!!! Just a newbie mistake and a lesson learned. Thanks for setting me straight!!!

I tasted it when I did the second reading the other day. It did not have a high alcohol punch to it.

Ok that all makes sense and makes me feel better that my assumption was correct. OG sample without the additional water will give it a "false" or inaccurate reading. The OG reading should be closer to what was expected.

Thank you guys!!! Just a newbie mistake and a lesson learned. Thanks for setting me straight!!!

At least you're taking readings. It took me a while to even do that much. Somehow I lucked out and never had any batches that didn't ferment right.

I know this wasn't the issue in this case, but still drop your hydrometer in a jar of distilled water to test it's accuracy just for reference.

With extract brewing, OG can be calculated pretty accurately from the amount of extract and steeping grains and the total volume. IMO the calculated gravity is more accurate than measured gravity if top-off water is used. I stopped taking OG samples for extract batches a long time ago.

One suggestion about topping up to 5.5 gallons. It's not a lot of difference, but if the recipe calls for 5 gallons and you use 5.5, you should really scale the recipe up by 10% to get the same beer. It's not a lot, but it is noticeable.

Ok I'm an idiot and this what I get for looking over everything so late at night and posting. I double checked my notes this morning and I did two gravity readings before pitching the yeast. My notes said the first one was taken at a temp of 78 degrees and the second one was at 62, but both had the same reading. I never took one after topping off with water.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and input!!!

At least that makes sense!

:D

Latest posts

Back