Hi!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BristolStBrewing

Reaction score
Hello everyone, im just getting into home brewing thanks to my buddy Jared who has been brewing for a while...I helped him brew an full grain chocolate bock last weekend and Im hooked.

I plan to purchase the following friday:

True Brew Handbook & Kit Instructions
6 Gallon Glass Carboy
7.8 Gallon Fermenting Bucket (Pre-Drilled for Spigot)
Dilled & Grommeted Lid for Fermenting Bucket
Bottling Spigot for Fermenting Bucket
Racking Cane - 30 Inch x 3/8 Inch
Siphon / Racking Cane Clip / Holder
Siphon / Racking Hose - 5 Ft of 3/8 Inch
Siphon Hose Shut Off Clamp
Fermtech Springless Bottle Filler
Fermometer - Adhesive Fermentation Thermometer
Small Buon Vino Drilled Stopper
Hydrometer - Triple Scale
Emily Double Lever Capper
3 Piece / Cylindrical Airlock
Bottle Brush
C-Brite Sanitizer 8-pack

Im also going to be getting a 21 qt stock pot and an extra 5 gallon carboy and fermenting bucket, so i can do multiple batches.

all in all this will cost me about $160 bucks

then im going to get a couple extract kits, brew those, while those are fermenting, im going to build a mash ton like my buddy did and go full grain.

what do you think???

Sounds like a really good start!
If you can swing it you might try for a bigger stock pot. The 21 qt will work well for 5 gallon batches but a 10 gallon pot will give you more room/comfort during the boil. It'll also allow you some wiggle room for slightly larger beers which you may want to boil down for 90 minutes as opposed to 60 minutes.
But all in all looked pretty good to me.
John Palmer "How to Brew" is a good resource book which is online too.
Have fun!!!

Sounds like a really good start!
If you can swing it you might try for a bigger stock pot. The 21 qt will work well for 5 gallon batches but a 10 gallon pot will give you more room/comfort during the boil. It'll also allow you some wiggle room for slightly larger beers which you may want to boil down for 90 minutes as opposed to 60 minutes.
But all in all looked pretty good to me.
John Palmer "How to Brew" is a good resource book which is online too.
Have fun!!!

Thanks!! Im currently reading John Palmers book! Great resource!

Im only going to be doing 5 gallon batches for a while, I'll eventually upgrade to a bigger pot, they are just so expensive!!

Yep pots are crazy expensive. I ordered all mine off Amazon, shopped for the cheapest stainless ones I could find that had good reviews. Drilled and added the valves at home.
Word is that aluminum pots work just fine if you want to try that route, I know you can get a bigger pot cheaper that way.
Have fun, its a blast and your brews should be terrific

You're gonna have a blast. Don't fret if the first batch isn't perfect. Keep brewing and it'll be wonderful.

Back