Hi, from Indiana too =)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belindashort

Reaction score
A friend referred me here. I've only done minimal home brewing. I currently work in a microbrewery as the assistant brew master.

Nice to meet you all =)

My myspace, for anyone that uses it, but you have to be logged in to see my page. It's not private, just only available to logged in members.

Wow a real life brewer. Well I am sure you will be an asset to us all here. Welcome. This place just gets better all the time

Well, I'm an assistant, which basically means I'm in training. Been working there since February, and currently I do kegging, tank cleaning, line cleaning, spent grain hauling, and the last half of the brew, as well as brew house cleaning and other various things that the BM would have me do.

How did you get that job. Pretty cool(we are assuming) I would pay to work around beer all day. even the nasty jobs)

Well, believe it or not...

I was living with a guy for 5 years. Things went south, and I had to get out of there pretty quickly. I work full time in a frame shop, and it wasn't cutting it, and there's really no where to go but to own my own shop, and I'm just not into it.

For the past few years, I've been getting more and more into beer/beer making, and nearly all of my friends are brewers. My boss was actually the one that suggested I get a beer related job, and I explained that those jobs are really somewhat tough to secure and you have to _really_know everyone around, and his response..."So, you, then?"

I thought about it, and called my friend Anita, who runs Great Fermentations, and she told me of a couple people to call. I called Omar (from Alcatraz) who happened to be the 1) only brewer without an assistant, and 2) really the only one in town I didn't know. He interviewed me and asked if I could hack it. Gave me 90 days to prove it, and I'm still working there.

That being said, it's really more like an apprenticeship, so the pay is minimal compared to a regular job, even my other job, but the opportunities are much greater, not to mention I really love making beer, and being around all the people that love beer as much as I do.

Welcome to the site. I'm in the Cincinnati area, but it just so happens I ate and drank at Alcatraz a couple weeks ago (before the Foo Fighters concert). Good beer! I was actually tempted to find the BM (or assistant) and commend them for their work. I believe I had the Pelican Pale Ale and my wife had the Searchlight. For anybody interested, the food's just as good as the beer!

I'm in FW, and I've been to The Alcatraz on a few occasions while in Indy. In fact, I have an empty Alcatraz growler sitting patiently under my bar right now.

What are you brewing now?

I shop at GF all the time! They are awesome, they are like the supermarket of the homebrew world... and so helpful! I also live in Indy... and you have my second dream job! How amazing is that! Welcome to the forum! I have been homebrewing for about 3 years now, finishing up my HERMS build that SHOULD be operational by Sept. Got a few brewing buds in Indy that I fly with, and a plethera of extra homebrew stuff in my arsenal if you are ever in need of something local. You are in the right place!

POL

Indy here also, living near Mccordsville. I've also enjoyed Alcatraz's beers and am a loyal shopper of GF's! Welcome to the forums!

Well, we currently have on: Brown, IPA, Bourbon Stout, Wheat, Light and a Scottish Ale. Next week we may be brewing a bock of some sort. (if you go to the bar and ask, we have a dry hopped pale on the back line too, but it's by request only :p)

Back