Hi, all from VA (via Moscow)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obezyana1

Reaction score
Just a quick hello and introduction.

I'm new to actual brewing (I did a couple Mr. Beer Kits), but I'm really looking forward to getting some beer made that is a bit more intense than pour this stuff in a pot and voila! Mr. Beer may be good for some, but I want to really feel like it is MY beer, and not someone else's.

I love beer and I love cooking, so I can't think of any better way to combine my loves. Maybe when I get some experience under my belt I will be able to craft some of my own specialty brews and share them, though some of my ideas may be nasty. I really would like to find a way to make a breakfast beer that tastes like maple syrup covered bacon (no puking!), but that one is a long way off (and maybe I will need to be a bit drunker to actually try it).

A little about me. I am in the military, so I travel a lot. This also happens to be the reason I am unable to brew a batch at the moment, since I am spending the next 6 weeks hanging out in Moscow. But, when I get home I'm jumping in headfirst. I'm also married with 2 children. Luckily my wife supports my desire to homebrew and actually spent a lot of money on me for Valentine's Day to help me get started right.

-Josh
Happy Brewing! :mug:

Just a quick hello and introduction.

I'm new to actual brewing (I did a couple Mr. Beer Kits), but I'm really looking forward to getting some beer made that is a bit more intense than pour this stuff in a pot and voila! Mr. Beer may be good for some, but I want to really feel like it is MY beer, and not someone else's.

I love beer and I love cooking, so I can't think of any better way to combine my loves. Maybe when I get some experience under my belt I will be able to craft some of my own specialty brews and share them, though some of my ideas may be nasty. I really would like to find a way to make a breakfast beer that tastes like maple syrup covered bacon (no puking!), but that one is a long way off (and maybe I will need to be a bit drunker to actually try it).

A little about me. I am in the military, so I travel a lot. This also happens to be the reason I am unable to brew a batch at the moment, since I am spending the next 6 weeks hanging out in Moscow. But, when I get home I'm jumping in headfirst. I'm also married with 2 children. Luckily my wife supports my desire to homebrew and actually spent a lot of money on me for Valentine's Day to help me get started right.

-Josh
Happy Brewing! :mug:

Hi and welcome.

I think you will find myLHBS in Falls Church (when you get back) to be a great resource. Are you at Belvoir?

Welcome, awesome! I'm in Alexandria, too. Let me know if you need pointers to good local restaurants/bars/stores for a decent beer selection. I second the myLocalHBS recommendation.

Hi and welcome.

I think you will find myLHBS in Falls Church (when you get back) to be a great resource. Are you at Belvoir?

I am stationed at Belvoir, though I'm an Air Force guy. I'll have to check out myLHBS in Falls Church, since that is closer than Maryland Homebrew in Columbia. MDHB has a nice selection, but I would love a place with a good selection close by.

Welcome, awesome! I'm in Alexandria, too. Let me know if you need pointers to good local restaurants/bars/stores for a decent beer selection. I second the myLocalHBS recommendation.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been in Alexandria for 3 years now and live near Old town, where I tend to frequent many of the local bars and restaurants, where I inevitably end up drinking more than my fair share of beer. When I get back maybe we can get a beer, or maybe you can hook me up with a good homebrew, to get me in the right spirit to brew up my first real batch (and not because I want to mooch some good beer or anything).

Thanks for the heads up. I've been in Alexandria for 3 years now and live near Old town, where I tend to frequent many of the local bars and restaurants, where I inevitably end up drinking more than my fair share of beer. When I get back maybe we can get a beer, or maybe you can hook me up with a good homebrew, to get me in the right spirit to brew up my first real batch (and not because I want to mooch some good beer or anything).

I'm about to rack my first-ever to secondary and brew another batch. So we'll see if it turns out to be anything you'd want!

I was pleasantly impressed by the beer selection at Bilbo Baggins (just behind the main plaza in Old Town, on Queen St) with 10 taps and 50-100 bottles including a ton of Belgians. Rustico (a bit north of Old Town) has good food, 50 taps, and 500+ bottles--plus 4 cask-conditioned hand pump ales.

Vermillion in Old Town (maybe 1/2 way up toward the metro) has a decent selection, too, and Chadwick's isn't bad.

I'm about to rack my first-ever to secondary and brew another batch. So we'll see if it turns out to be anything you'd want!

I was pleasantly impressed by the beer selection at Bilbo Baggins (just behind the main plaza in Old Town, on Queen St) with 10 taps and 50-100 bottles including a ton of Belgians. Rustico (a bit north of Old Town) has good food, 50 taps, and 500+ bottles--plus 4 cask-conditioned hand pump ales.

Vermillion in Old Town (maybe 1/2 way up toward the metro) has a decent selection, too, and Chadwick's isn't bad.

I just went to Bilbo Baggins about 2 weeks ago. I love that place. The beer selcetion is great. I'll have to try Rustico out, because it sounds like they have a great selection. I just need to wait another 6 weeks until this TDY is over. Oh well, at least I can enjoy cheap (like 50 cents a pint), Russian beer...some of which is actually decent.

I particularly like the atmosphere at Vermillion and the food is really really good. I know this is a beer board but -man- I like their martini's.

Welcome from another veteran displaced Virginian. You are gonna LOVE this hobby. :)
-Me

Welcome. I'm stationed at Fatherhood. It's great to the missus on board with the endeavor because sometimes the brew days just mean that the tykes have to play in the street. ;)

Making beer is great. It's an art like cooking - you can follow a recipe down to the letter and produce something pretty good, but if you have those culinary instincts and follow your inspiration (along with proper sanitation habits) you can make something wonderful!

Back