Heull Melon & Belma hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
I have 4oz of each and was wondering if anyone has tried them. I've read the Belma hops have a strawberry/blueberry flavor/aroma and the Heull Melon's have a melon (duh) flavor/aroma. Wondering if these two could be mixed or if I should add something fruity/floral/piney into the mix to cut the oddball flavors of these two. Any recs?

I used Belma in a SH pale ale a while back. Don't exactly recall it but I remember getting a definite berry note. It was very subtle, I could see most other hops dominating them in the flavor profile of the finished beer. I would stay away from piney hops but floral would definitely work well as long as it doesn't overpower the Belma. Wish I could be of more help....pretty sure there's a whole Belma thread somewhere around here from when they were first released.

Thanks for the tip, that's actually really good to know. Maybe I'll mix some Crystal in there since it's really low AA but puts our a decent floral aroma.

I ended up throwing out a lb of Belma. It had pretty minimal flavor and aroma, but what it did have was bubblegum, kinda gross fake fruit. Even as a bittering hop I didn't enjoy it.

I brewed a Huell Melon Pale Ale (3 oz. Huell Melon, 1 oz. Nugget) a few months ago and I didn't get much melon notes. If I had to brew it again, I would have dry hopped it with another 2 oz. for 5 days before bottling.

I used some belma along with some mosaic as the for flavor and aroma in an imperial red. I thought it worked great with the sweeter malt bill. I got nice fruity flavor when combined with the mosaic. I'm about to try a huell melon vienna smash next, but I don't know anything about them yet. They sound awesome though.

Swmbo has requested a raspberry wheat, after tasting a variation from a local brewery (Tupps, Raspberry Shade) and I was thinking Belma might be a good finishing hop.

Used some hull melon in a saison, definitely got melon character. 1oz @ 60 and 1oz dry hop for 5 days in a 4g batch. I probably would not use it again as a single hop.

Back