HERMS HLT gas vs elec.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamatuna

Reaction score
Hey All

So I am looking to make a HERMS build and was looking up some stuff on the HLT of the build and ive seen some using a propane burner and others using electricity.

Just from my own thoughts i would think that a water heater element would be more efficient than a propane burner; cheaper too.

wanted to know if anyone had any expierience with this?

On the same lines i also saw a design that used a hot water tank element for the HLT that also doubled as a steam injection for the boil. Boiling the entire thing with steam seems cool, just dont know of the drawback.

Thanks all

PROST

Both work and do essentially the same thing, which is to heat some water to near boiling...I think it just depends on what you're more comfortable with.

Do you have a link for the steam boil design? Certainly steam powers a lot of the commercial systems, but most of the domestic steam setups I have seen have been for controlling mash temperature.

Electric is nice because it isn't very often that the power company runs out of electricity in the middle of my brewday. And yes lower cost and more efficient. I recently learned that the heat transfer between my element and my wort/water is so efficient that my nylon hop bags can come in direct contact with the element and not melt.

Search attobrew on this forum and you'll find my build.

Back