Herms Flow direction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would assume to limit the amount of tubing exposed to ambient temperature which could reduce the temp of the fluid going back into the mash tun it would be bottom to top.

I would assume to limit the amount of tubing exposed to ambient temperature which could reduce the temp of the fluid going back into the mash tun it would be bottom to top.

Assuming that you aren't using standard length hoses with quick disconnects this would make since.

A couple times I have noticed the top coil or two of my HERMS is outside of the HLT water level and I top off the water. If any of the coil is exposed you would want to go top in - bottom out, but it still will make little difference.

I run it from top to bottom and my LT is higher than the MLT so that when the top hose is disconnected, the wort naturally flows out and into the MLT savaging every drop of wort.

Bottom to top for me - pushing wort through the coil with valves wide open.

I fly sparge so every drop of wort goes back into the MLT during the sparge when hot water from HLT is pumped back through the coil. Works great and I have consistent efficiency batch after batch.

Pumping HLT water through the coil also cleans the coil back out. After sparge I usually pump the rest of the HLT water through the coil to ensure it has had a good rinse.

Back