HERMS Coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egaberik

Reaction score
So I am well on my way to finishing my E-HERMS build and one of my last things is my HERMS coil. I had originally planned for 50' of 1/2 Stainless Steel tubing and having it coiled locally. After getting 50' of kinked stainless tubing back from the shop and finding out post fact that they couldn't I am having issues with figuring out what to do.

Does anyone have experience using 3/8" Stainless tubing in their system and is the performance going to be effected too much? I am thinking of grabbing this chiller (3/8" x 50' Stainless Steel Immersion Wort Chiller, Immersion Chiller) and cutting it so I can attach it to my HLT with 90 degree compression fittings.

One last question is my kettle is 15.7" diameter but the chiller is only 9.25" so its going to be more on one side of the HLT. The water in it will be recirculating during use but will the smaller diameter of the coil play a big difference since it wont be centered in HLT?

Thanks for the help.

So I am well on my way to finishing my E-HERMS build and one of my last things is my HERMS coil. I had originally planned for 50' of 1/2 Stainless Steel tubing and having it coiled locally. After getting 50' of kinked stainless tubing back from the shop and finding out post fact that they couldn't I am having issues with figuring out what to do.

Does anyone have experience using 3/8" Stainless tubing in their system and is the performance going to be effected too much? I am thinking of grabbing this chiller (3/8" x 50' Stainless Steel Immersion Wort Chiller, Immersion Chiller) and cutting it so I can attach it to my HLT with 90 degree compression fittings.

One last question is my kettle is 15.7" diameter but the chiller is only 9.25" so its going to be more on one side of the HLT. The water in it will be recirculating during use but will the smaller diameter of the coil play a big difference since it wont be centered in HLT?

Thanks for the help.

I would stick with 1/2" personally, just for consistent flow rate throughout my setup. I bought this chiller from midwest, and re-purposed it as my herms coil:

Stainless Steel Immersion Wort Chiller w/Garden Hose Fittings 50 ft

mine is off center in my keggle hlt. I am recirculating the HLT water to stir. no problems whatsoever.

I would stick with 1/2" personally, just for consistent flow rate throughout my setup. I bought this chiller from midwest, and re-purposed it as my herms coil:

Stainless Steel Immersion Wort Chiller w/Garden Hose Fittings 50 ft

mine is off center in my keggle hlt. I am recirculating the HLT water to stir. no problems whatsoever.

All of the stainless immersion chillers from Midwest are on back order for 2+ months. I still have yet to find another source for them. If anyone knows of another source PLEASE let us know! It's the very last part I need to finish my brewery.

use cooper... copper in your boil kettle or even HERMs is better than no cooper at all. was listening to a brewstrong episode where one guest boiled in copper kettles and said. "I think everyone should have a shaft of copper in the boil"

-=Jason=-

All of the stainless immersion chillers from Midwest are on back order for 2+ months. I still have yet to find another source for them. If anyone knows of another source PLEASE let us know! It's the very last part I need to finish my brewery.

Thats exactly the problem I am having.

...and a question I have with copper is that I plan on using 2 compression fittings to mount it on the inside sidewall of the kettle much like Kal did with his electric brewery. Will compression fittings just bend the soft copper or will I be able to get a good seal and will the copper be able to hold itself up without bending because 50' of 1/2" copper can get pretty heavy.

Thats exactly the problem I am having.

...and a question I have with copper is that I plan on using 2 compression fittings to mount it on the inside sidewall of the kettle much like Kal did with his electric brewery. Will compression fittings just bend the soft copper or will I be able to get a good seal and will the copper be able to hold itself up without bending because 50' of 1/2" copper can get pretty heavy.

if you can't get a good tight seal with the compression nuts just remove the metal Ferrel and replace with a couple of orings.

-=Jason=-

So has anyone made a copper herms coil like kals???

I tried as but reconciling it in s 12" diameter I think is impossible. It kinks like crazy

Yep. I've made two.

One for my 15g system out of 1/2" od and a second out of 1/2" id for my 2bbl system. Just go slow and use a corny or other solid object to shape the coil and zip ties to train it one in shape.

ForumRunner_20130501_013106.jpg

Back