Here we go first batch !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texaviator23

Reaction score
Well as of lastnight at one in the morning my dormant container sprung to life. Our brew time was about 4 hours from starting the water to siphoning into the stage one. About 2 hours after setting the airlock there was a subtle churning at the top, and when we got up this morning... HOLY COW it looked like some one had a churning paddle inside cranking away. I like the post an the information that you guys have up here VERY helpful, I am also reading Dave Miller's HomeBrewing Guide and its helping as well....Well more to come as the fermintation continues.

American IPA

18hours in::ban:

Ok so now a question. Is it time sensative to move from stage one to stage two. If fermintations slows or stops and I dont see it for a 8 or so hours will that make a difference? Also do I need to run my idosomethingorother into the bottles and let them dry out before bottling?:tank:

I just let mine stay in primary for 7-8 days. Check the gravity and if it is there rack to secondary.

texaviator23 said:
Ok so now a question. Is it time sensative to move from stage one to stage two. If fermintations slows or stops and I dont see it for a 8 or so hours will that make a difference? Also do I need to run my idosomethingorother into the bottles and let them dry out before bottling?:tank:

Yeah, saitize all the bottles before you bottle it--but you have another important stage to go before that is even necessary. You should keep your beer in secondary for 2-3 weeks, then bottle.

Don't forget to prime it before you bottle too.

:tank:

Welcome to the board, good to see another austinite here.

Might want to cover that carboy up to minimize light exposure too.

Mindflux said:
Welcome to the board, good to see another austinite here.

Might want to cover that carboy up to minimize light exposure too.
I keep a black shirt over my fermenter. I don't know how much household lighting effects the beer but I figure it can't hurt.

Hmm so I guess I have to move it to the closet now... It was sittin in the dining room where I could see it... dark is better I presume?

Yes. Incadescent light can spoil(skunk) your beer. This includes normal household lighting, in addition to light from the sun. Keep it covered, at the very least.

Ok well enough of the show its under cover at the moment....

*update*
After I put the black shirt over the carboy within a few hours the bubbles in the airlock increased. Would this be due to better ferminting enviroment. The temp in the house is set to 72 and it seems to be going like mad in there...

Well I was curious if the Krausen had to completely dissolve to warrant complete fermintation? or just the bubbles slowing to nothing?

72 is a little warm for most yeasts. The shirt over it may have warmed it up a bit more even.. or not. I dont know that there would be any direct link there.

When the krausen falls, it's a pretty good indicator that the fermentation is past it's peak. However, it's probably not ready for secondary yet. Give it time.

General rule of thumb:
1 Week in the primary
2 Weeks in the secondary
3 weeks in the bottle

total of 6 weeks from brew to popping the cap off your first beverage.

this hobby is going to teach me patience.... :) It was going like mad Sunday night through tonight and i noticed tonight the krausen was falling and the bubbles are slowing down.

Fo sho man. I'm new to brewing too and have had to learn patience even when I'm wigging out wondering If i mucked things up. One thing I did learn recently is that having your thermostat set at or around 70 F is probably to high. Yeast need to FERMENT at 60- 70 degrees. Because of all the activity the yeast are creating, the fermentation temp is actually 8-10 degrees higher than the temp in the room. Put a sticky thermometer on your primary and you'll see what I'm talking about.:rockin:

I took the temp around the fermintor and it was around 67 degrees I guess there is a small draft in that part of the house. Krausen is on a steady decline about an inch left and bubbles are about 10-15 seconds apart... I think its winding down nicely... listen to me... sounds like im giving birth... contractions are .....LOL Thanks for the help guys.

Well I racked to to secondary tonight and took a theif sample and tasted. It tasted good nice an clean, just a slight after taste that was a little yeasty like. I wasn't sure if that was a little normal and would clarify out?

Back