Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tularac

Reaction score
First time kegging, racked beer into keg and when i went to attach to CO2 i realized i have the wrong attachment.

LHBS is not open till tuesday and i am terrified that leaving that air in there will ruin my beer.

What do i do?

At this point seal it, and wait for Tuesday. I would think that you will risk worse oxidation or contamination if you attempt to transfer back to another container. But that is only what i would do.
Or maybe there might be someone that has a connection on the forum that is near by.

I would add some priming sugar, dissolved in boiled water, to start a small fermentation for CO2 production, even though the amount of CO2 produced would be minimal.

What do you mean by wrong attachment? Do you have two liquid disconnects, instead of one air and one liquid.
If so, swap the liquid and air post on the keg, so that you can use the liquid disconnect to fill and purge with co2.

Couldn't you just take the hose from your CO2 tank (with no connector) and adjust the pressure to maybe 5 lbs, open the lid and gently purge the head space of the Keg with CO2, and then put the lit back on. Should get almost all of the O2 out of the keg.

I would not retransfer it either.

Another possibility is to prime the beer in the keg.... I have done that before. Take 2/3 cup of corn sugar, boil it up in a little water, open lid, add, put lid back in keg..... set it somewhere around 70 degrees. The yeast in suspension will consume the sugar (and O2) and carbonate the beer. Down side of this is that it will take a week or two and may not really be worth it when you are only talking a couple days anyway.

Personally - I would just purge the head space with CO2 hose directly in the open lid and put it back on.

Did you purge the keg with CO2 before transferring?

***(edit)Looks like everyone is thinking the same thing:)

This is what I would do in that situation:

Make sure the CO2 tank is off and off the connector from your gas line so that you just have an open gas line coming from the regulator. Then open the keg lid, slide it to the side while keeping it in the keg, and hold the line above the beer and slowly open the tank to let some CO2 enter the keg and pushing the air out. Then spray a bunch of starsan all over the dam thing, close it up, and leave it for Tuesday when you can get the fitting. When you get the fitting, hook it up and purge it very well.

Basically, you are going the same thing most people do when bottling. CO2 is more sense than air, so it should push the air out and leave a nice CO2 blanket over the beer, which should be good for a few days as long as you don't open it.

EDIT: looks like we all were basically typing the same thing around the same time. Great minds think alike, but only superb minds think of the correct answer.

Thanks all,

What i did was open the lid, and just use the hose off the regulator to purge the air out then resealed.

It would appear this kegerator came with the attachment pictured. I did not realize this would not work until it was to late.
Again, first time kegging.

Come tuesday i will pick up the the proper attachments and be good to go

draft-system-cleaning-regulator.jpg

Back