Help would be greatly appreciated.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidaub

Reaction score
Hello-new to brewing but have desire and have read some so I know enough to get in trouble. After consideration I have decided to purchase 2 corny kegs and need advice on which is the better set-up-pin lock or ball lock? If somone has suggestions on a good cheap way to locate 2 kegs- I am open for suggestions. I am fortunate to have an old refridgerator in the garage and plan to modify it to house the cornies. Thanks for your time. D

Welcome to the forums!

Try to find a local home brew store in your area. I find (at least around here) their prices are comparable to craigslist.

Pin-locks are cheaper but harder to find so if you go with pin lock keep that in mind. Most people try to choose one style over the other and stick with it so all of their equipment is interchangeable. I chose Ball lock, its your preference.

I would suggest you brew a batch or two first and see how you like it, worry about kegging after you know you love this hobby. Kegging is expensive to start and has no effect on how your beer tastes vs. a multitude of over things you can spend your money on.

Welcome to the forums!
Pin-locks are cheaper but harder to find so if you go with pin lock keep that in mind. Most people try to choose one style over the other and stick with it so all of their equipment is interchangeable. I chose Ball lock, its your preference.

The only thing I'd add to this is that it is possible to rig up your system so that the fittings are easily interchangeable between the ball- and pin-lock posts by using posts that have flare fittings on them (e.g. MoreBeer link). I actually set my system up so that only the gas lines have male flare fittings on them, and the beverage posts have female flare fittings, so that it's impossible to accidentally connect my gas line to my beverage line (and fill the regulator with beer by accident).

Point being - if you do have easy access to pin-lock, it doesn't bar use of ball-lock later, and you can make the two systems interchangeable for a small investment (~$12 per keg for flare posts, and then another $15 or so to get the proper hardware for the line).

Thanks for the information. I am certain that I will be asking other questions as the equipment starts to accumulate. D

Back