Help with Munton's KreamyX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViperDriver

Reaction score
Can someone help this noob with a couple of carbonation questions? I bought a packet of KreamyX on a whim. I'm about to bottle a Red Hot Hooker ESB (Midwest Red Hood ESB kit) and would like to use the Kreamy.

Question 1: English ESBs are lightly carbonated (.75-1.3 volumes of CO2) but my tongue tells me that Red Hook ESB is carbonated more like an American Pale Ale or IPA, probably around 2.5 volumes. Can someone advise if my guess is anywhere close?

Question 2: From what little I've been able to find on the Web, you use the same amount of KreamyX you'd use of corn sugar. I'll bottle about 4.8 US gallons and am shooting for 2.5 volumes of CO2 (unless someone advises otherwise). BeerAlchemy and a couple of online calculators agree that I should use about 4 oz of corn sugar. But on the Kreamy X package, they tell you to use all 7 oz in a 5 Imperial gallon batch. 4.8 US is 4.0 Imperial, so they're saying I should use 5.6 oz of Kreamy X.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Many thanks!

Brewzor Pro on my Droid says 3.89 oz of Corn sugar for 2.5 Volumes of a 60 Degree 4.8 Gallon Batch.

I used KreamyX one time in a chocolate stout. I followed the instructions and used the whole 7oz. in 5 gallons. Result was way overcarbed, probably in the 3 to a bit over 3 volumes range. Don't think I'd go over 5oz fo r2/5 volumes.

Back