Help with Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I'm trying to find large "food grade" rubber, plastic, or neoprene, etc, gasket to better seal up my mash tun. My large I mean, wide enough on the inside to snugly fit around a 1/2 stainless pipe and at least 1-1/2" wide (about). I have some red washers that are more like O-Rings, I really need something wider. These are okay sealing the threads, but not against the cooler wall.

Any suggestions?

Stainless steel FENDER washers are what I used. I think I stacked about three or four of them on against one another to provide the proper distance for the spigot.

I went on their web page (http://www.mcmaster.com/#) and they had lots of gasket seals that would work. The only problem is I can't tell if they are safe to use with beer. I'm told that everything needs to be "food grade".

I had that same issue today and bought rubber washers that have sealed it up fine. However someone made a great suggestion and that is buy some baby bottle nipples and trim them to fit. Food grade and soft enough to make a great seal. I am very seriously considering swapping out the rubber washers for homemade silicone baby bottle nipple washers. Its a great idea.

Here's my thread regarding the washer issue: Opinions: rubber washers

Back