Help with making Hop Choices for a 2020 Brew Day kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeRoy

Reaction score
LHBS is offering a good deal on an all grain brew kit. Grains are already picked but I can choose two packages/types of hops from a list. I can also choose from a list of Imperial yeasts. I made a fresh squeezed IPA clone with Citra hops before and was going to try something different. Most recipes use more than 2 hop choices so I can't follow any recipes directly. I was thinking about using Amarillo with Mosaic and making it into a pale ale since I haven't made one. Also was thinking about the Independence strain since it lists Pale Ales and nothing about fruity/citrus hops for complementing. Looking for advice, pointers or thoughts.

~ Amarillo and Mosaic aren't usually 60min bittering hops so...
~ I've only used Citra from this list which I do like.
~ I've never made my own recipe before, only followed others.
============================================================================================

This basic recipe is designed for a 5 gallon batch of American Pale Ale or IPA of light golden color, 5.5-6% ABV, 40-60 IBUs.

12 lb. Troubadour Pevec (Czech-style pilsner malt)
1 lb. Troubadour Chorus (Caramel 15L malt)
2 x 2 oz packages of pellet hops (choose from citra, mosaic, amarillo, simcoe)
1 x packet of Imperial Yeast (choose from Barbarian, Independence, Citrus, DryHop, Julius, Loki, Kveiking)

============================================================================================

I would go with citra and mosaic and then use Citrus to help accentuate that citrus flavor. I have never used citrus but it’s on my list and I was going to make an IPA using those hops.

Latest posts

Back