Help with Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atea8keys

Reaction score
I used Goldings hops (5.4%) in a recent beer recipe. I used it in three stages -

Here is my recipe
3kg Tipple Pale Malt 4.5 EBC
350g Crystal Malt
250 Cara Red Malt 50 EBC
Steeped for 30 min

Goldings 30g for 1.5hrs
Goldings 20g last 20 min
Goldings 10g last 10 min

The beer came out really nice but missing that little extra to make it excellent. Any suggestions on changing hops or amounts? I am satisfied with end result but not super satisfied.

Thanks
:mug:

IF you want more hop flavour and aroma then up the 10 min addition or even add another 20-30g later. Maybe at 1 min or flame out.

The beer came out really nice but missing that little extra to make it excellent. Any suggestions on changing hops or amounts? I am satisfied with end result but not super satisfied.

Thanks
:mug:

It looks like a perfectly fine bitter to me. What kind of "extra" are you looking for? You can add more hops, change hop variety, add dry hopping etc. What about yeast? There is no yeast strain in the recipe. The strain of yeast used will have a big influence in the character of the beer.

I used Safeales 04. Would be willing to try something else if you feel it would be better for taste.

The extra I was looking for may be just in my mind. I reviewed the AA content of the Goldings and saw it was low and is a hop used more for aroma. However, I did read recently that many craft brewers look at all hops as having possibilities as bittering, taste and aroma.

Thanks for further advice. Look forward to it.

I think if it is more "zest" you are after, then try another strain of yeast to provide a stronger flavors. If it's more bitterness or aroma, then, of course, supplement your Goldings hops with a complementary hop like Northern Brewer that has a higher AA. And, if you want to stick with Goldings alone, then give dry hopping a go.

Back