Help with hop utilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwabizzle

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
I've been experimenting with an IPA recipe,and would love some input on the hop schedule based on what I have.

9.5# pale2row (usually Maris otter,but LHBS was out)
1#Crystal 80
.5# flaked wheat

I have 2oz each of centennial (10.8%) and citra (13.3%), as well as .5oz halertau (3.6%) that was left over from another brew.

I've been changing when my hops go in, and I was thinking of doing a hop stand this time around to get some better aroma.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Depends on how bitter you want to go. I'd bitter with centennial, maybe a 10-15 min halertau and a citra flameout/whirlpool. I'd get the temp down to 160-170, and toss in the citra. I've found greater flavor and aroma from citra after flame. I never boil it anymore.

4 oz of hops is barely enough for an IPA. You'd need to save at least 2 oz to dry hop. 2 oz in late boil/whirlpool is a bit skimpy too. More hops is better, like at least 3 oz for each, boil/whirlpool and dry hop. ;)
Use a dedicated (cheap) bittering hop, like Warrior, Magnum, Nugget, etc. for bittering, 60' boil. Aim at getting 40-50 IBU from that, the rest from late and whirlpool additions.

Look at some IPA recipes, e.g., in our recipe forum, for inspiration and do some research on how to conduct hopstands/whirlpools.

The lower your hopstand/whirlpool temps, the less bittering takes place, and more flavor and aroma is retained. At 150F the bittering process has about ceased. At 170F there is still a fair amount of alpha acid isomerization taking place.

If you're used to Maris Otter, add 4 oz of Victory (or other biscuit malt) to the grist to compensate somewhat for that flavor. Or go with what you have, Pale Ale malt will be good by itself.

I played around with your recipe in Beer Smith a little bit. So assuming you're doing a 5 gallon batch, I'd whirlpool the big guys for 25 minutes and first wort hop the Hallertau for 60. Just my opinion, but I'd add a little more malt too.
Cheers!

upload_2018-7-13_13-36-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-13_13-32-22.png
    upload_2018-7-13_13-32-22.png
    161 KB · Views: 33
4 oz of hops is barely enough for an IPA. You'd need to save at least 2 oz to dry hop. 2 oz in late boil/whirlpool is a bit skimpy too. More hops is better, like at least 3 oz for each, boil/whirlpool and dry hop. ;)
Use a dedicated (cheap) bittering hop, like Warrior, Magnum, Nugget, etc. for bittering, 60' boil. Aim at getting 40-50 IBU from that, the rest from late and whirlpool additions.

Look at some IPA recipes, e.g., in our recipe forum, for inspiration and do some research on how to conduct hopstands/whirlpools.

The lower your hopstand/whirlpool temps, the less bittering takes place, and more flavor and aroma is retained. At 150F the bittering process has about ceased. At 170F there is still a fair amount of alpha acid isomerization taking place.

If you're used to Maris Otter, add 4 oz of Victory (or other biscuit malt) to the grist to compensate somewhat for that flavor. Or go with what you have, Pale Ale malt will be good by itself.

Thanks for the info. I'm currently building this recipe up, my first actually, so I'm slowly adding hops and trying different grain combinations. I appreciate the feedback.

I played around with your recipe in Beer Smith a little bit. So assuming you're doing a 5 gallon batch, I'd whirlpool the big guys for 25 minutes and first wort hop the Hallertau for 60. Just my opinion, but I'd add a little more malt too.
Cheers!

View attachment 579094

Thanks for throwing this in beer Smith. I appreciate the feedback and the visual. I currently use the free version of brewers friend, but i should probably invest in something better.

Depends on how bitter you want to go. I'd bitter with centennial, maybe a 10-15 min halertau and a citra flameout/whirlpool. I'd get the temp down to 160-170, and toss in the citra. I've found greater flavor and aroma from citra after flame. I never boil it anymore.

I was planning on the flame out additions,but i appreciate the idea on the other hops. I actually went with your suggestion so I'll let you know how it turns out.

I was planning on the flame out additions,but i appreciate the idea on the other hops. I actually went with your suggestion so I'll let you know how it turns out.
Should turn out fine. If you did 1 oz centenntial, you're looking at about 47 IBU and 6%. Nicely balanced and surely drinkable. If you used all 2 oz of centennial (hope you didn't), you're looking at around 87 IBU. Personally, I prefer less bitterness, but I'm sure I'd drink either recipe. Hope it turns out great!

I disagree with IPAs having to be slam full of hops. A NEIPA ... sure, you need a big charge or hops, but a west coast style, you can get by with much less. Timing and temp is everything.

I’ve got a favorite IPA that only uses 4.5 oz total. Give a good buttering charge to hit IBUs. Give I good late addition within the last 15 mins for flavor. Whirlpool some and dry hop some.

I use .5 magnum at 60, 1 of Citra and Mosaic at 15, whirlpool 1 Citra and dry hop 1 Citra.

You can always change amounts and timing a bit here and there, but I’ve been blown away by the flavor and aroma that can come off of such a small amount of hops.

Back