Help with floaties!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smelltheglove

Reaction score
Hey All, I am on my first batch. I have been quitely reading all the posts I could around here...all i could find was posts on HUGE floaties and INFECTED floaties but I need some advice on what to do with these floaties. These seem to be a little bit different than what i could find looking around... It looks about the same in the primary, just a wider area than my pyrex cup.

floaties.jpg

(kinda looks like goldschlager ha)

(I take my hydro reading with a sanitized pyrex measuring cup and a hydro jar :D)

I think they came from me not filtering any of the trub out of my kettle. I used a whirlfloc tab, cooled down my kettle, and just dumped it into the fermenter. (my first batch...was too excited :cross:) I tried to see if there was any trub at the bottom but Im pretty sure it just got poured in. Now it has been 2 weeks, gravity is around 1.018 and been there for couple days and I am getting ready to bottle. Any tips on getting these floaties out without re-aerating the beer? I have a plastic bucket and its a dark porter so i cannot tell if it is just on the top or its everywhere. When I hold my hydro sample up it only seems to be at the top....

Will they settle out during conditioning? Can i use the bottom part of the siphontap without the aerator to help filter? Should I rack to secondary? (dont really want to) I cant really do anything?

Any advice is appreciated thank you!

Try to cold crash the fermenter. Get it around 35 degrees for 4 days. That should cause everything to settle out.

I had those in my first brew too. After transferring from the fermenter to my bottling bucket they "went away". They aren't a big deal.

Unless they sprout hair, teeth, and eyeballs I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Just outta curiosity, which yeast did you use?

I used Safale-04 yeast. I am going to try and cold crash and then bottle from there. Thanks for the replies! Cheers

Hehe, I knew it.

Same yeast did the same thing to me. As I said, I wouldn't worry a bit about it. My beer seems to be turning out great. Another 3 weeks in the bottle to carb, but I actually drank the last bottle I filled because it only came to about half a bottle. It was pretty delicious, so I think this bodes well for you :mug:

I think they came from me not filtering any of the trub out of my kettle. I used a whirlfloc tab, cooled down my kettle, and just dumped it into the fermenter. (my first batch...was too excited :cross:)

I never filter out the break material before primary and I don't normally have a problem so I doubt that alone is the problem. I have had these "floaties" once before as well. I think they are yeast colonies so filtering out break material probably wouldn't help much. I agree with the above poster that you should try cold crashing the beer to see if you can get them to settle out. Try getting the batch down to like 30 degrees and see if they settle out.

Back