help with first gluten free brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedsExcellentAdventure

Reaction score
So, the girlfriend is currently gluten free and we decided to brew a GF beer that we could enjoy together, never made one before so just looking for a little insight on my recipe, most importantly the fermentables. Going to make the starter tonight and brew on Monday/Tuesday.

This is what it looks like right now:

3 lbs Briess Sorghum Syrup
3 lbs Wildflower Honey
1 lb blonde Belgian candi syrup
1 lb light Belgian candi sugar
1 lb Malto-dextrin

0.75 oz Centennial (60 min)
0.25 oz Centennial (flameout)
1.00 oz Citra (flameout)

also some lemon zest and coriander seeds at flameout
WLP001 for a yeast

Ran through hopville and got 1.058 OG and 1.014 FG with 35.5 IBU

I'm a little worried at the moment about the percentages of my fermentables so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance :mug:

Also for the yeast starter can i just use some rice syrup solids or maybe some malto-dextrin along with some yeast nutrient?

I've never bothered with a starter but why the blonde candi syrup? I see the yeast is Ale yeast. I only ask because I've used the blonde candi syrup before and it really doesn't impart any flavor.

Candi syrup is really just to add fermentables, trying to take up some room with something instead of sorghum syrup, curious as to your statement about the ale yeast though

so i just decided that I will pitch a couple packs of US-05 instead of making a starter. Do you guys think this is too much honey? I have a pound of rice syrup solids as well

Alright, thank you for the input. I have a pound of rice syrup solids, should I swap that in for a pound of honey maybe?

This is similar to my first brew. With the exceptions that I used t-58 yeast, 1# less candi, and no maltodextrin.

If you ran it through hopville, malto-dextrin is actually a malt not the powder from brew supplies. Hopville is stupid sometimes. Also, this is gonna finish way drier than 1.014. I'm thinking 1.008 or less.

Not a bad recipe. Just more braggot than beer. Should be good either way.

damn hopville, heres what i have on there so far

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

any suggestions on what i could do to lessen the braggot and up the beer?
thanks again for the help guys much appreciated

also if anyone has a better software to run this through quick and wouldn't mind so i could see what it is with the malto-dextrin that would be amazing! My beersmith trial ran out unfortunately :-(

Just wanted to bump this since I'm brewing in the morning, any last minute suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Very excited for this, have a great weekend everyone

The link you provided is just the blank calculator. Throw some specifics out. The first recipe is fine if you throw in some rice syrup in place of some of the honey. Also, consider moving the 60 min addition to 20 and using more hops to balance. Just personal preferance with the hops.

Back