Help with ferm chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transamguy77

Reaction score
So a couple of years ago I built a ferm chamber using an old wooden trunk and a dorm fridge, I mostly used it in the winter time to keep the temp up because my basement in the summertime stayed in the low 60's. I have since moved to California and need to use it to heat and cool and now I'm getting a ton of moisture in it, it looks like the freezer is freezing up and melting off.

The box I added i used 2" foam board insulation and the inside dimensions are 36x24x20. I have a pc fan in circulating air all the time. I'm hoping the fridge is not too small, it's 4.3 cubic feet so I thought that would be big enough.

Thanks in advance.

So are you asking if the fan will push enough air? Ya it should, though I doubt it will solve your moisture issues. Not only is a ferm chamber basically a box holding liquid, you live very near the coast, so moisture is inevitable. I fyou wanted you could always toss a damp rid bucket or other similar moisture absorption product in there.

Another question... Where did you put the rigid insulation? Inside or outside the box? If its on the outside, keep in mind that some refrigerators use the surface to dissipate heat, so I wouldnt have it flush with the exterior of the fridge if thats how yours works. If its inside then it kind of ruins the whole point of having a fridge :D

Honestly, if you can spring it, get on Craigslist and grab a$100 used fridge/freezer. Mini fridges use a ton of electricity for their size and the moisture issue won't go away. The last thing you want is a colony of mold spoiling multiple brews.

Another option could be to cut holes in the fridge door and duct the cold air in and out of the box.

Honestly, if you can spring it, get on Craigslist and grab a$100 used fridge/freezer. Mini fridges use a ton of electricity for their size and the moisture issue won't go away. The last thing you want is a colony of mold spoiling multiple brews.

Another option could be to cut holes in the fridge door and duct the cold air in and out of the box.

Good call. Didnt see that it was a mini fridge. I would agree. Ditch it and shop craigslist. My neighbor has a 10' long keezer that he bought on CL for 20 bucks. Theyre out there, but you may have to do some searching

Jwin yes mold is what I was concerned about and I don't have the door anymore so cutting holes isn't an option, Kev211 I have thought about that just looking for a freezer also but since I already have it I was hoping to just make it work.

I might just look to put some sort of pan under the coils and just drain it every few days, that would be a hassle but it does work and gets my temps where they need to be.

Back