Help with competition category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abledsoe

Reaction score
I want to enter a beer into an upcoming competition and am just a little unsure about which category. I am thinking it should fall under the 10B-American Amber Ale but some of the numbers don't quite match the guidelines.

The beer is a Hoppy Amber, O.G. was 1.063, ABV is 6.7% with 59 IBU.

Reading the BJCP website it lists and O.G. of 1.045-1.060 and up to 6% ABV. My understanding is it should be as close to the guidelines as possible and the judges will just deduct if you aren't true to the style.

So, should I go with 10B or is there another category that might better suit the beer.

Thanks!

Personally, I would go with 10B. You could go with "specialty" category and list the base style as American amber..... but, you are just a little outside the guidelines as it is, so I don't really think it would stand out enough to hold its own in the specialty category. Also, I think more and more, "Northwest Amber Ales" - big, hoppy ambers are commonly accepted as a version of 10B. I have entered ambers with similar numbers as yours and done well with them in 10B.
Also, in general, I think I have tended to do better with beers on high sides of category guidelines.... as compared to the low end.

Back