Help with choosing BJCP Category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ListerH

Reaction score
I am wanting to enter my beer into a competition but really struggling with categorization.

The base style really hits the Baltic Porter Category at an ABV of 8.6% and estimated IBUs of 39
(OG 1.086, FG 1.020)

But here's where it gets complicated. I stewed bananas in coconut water and added them to the boil. Then coconut flakes were added into the fermenter.
After primary, the batch went into an oak barrel.

So the result is primarily a Baltic porter but the banana does give a fruity almost hint of sourness. The coconut doesn't shine through too much or the oak flavor of the barrel.
However, the finish is fairly dry and this is coming from the oak barrel.

In appearance it is a Baltic porter, with quite a dark chocolate flavor and some dark fruit coming through.

Given the dryness of the finish, I was tempted to go with 33A and then have to explain that the base style is 29A and then the base style to that is 9C. It all sounds very convoluted!
There is an argument for going 34B maybe?

I think this is a really good beer but entering it in the wrong category is going to result in it being marked down I think. Again it is one of those where I need to enter it for what it is rather than what I intended it to be which was much more prominent in terms of the oaky finish.

Any comments appreciated!

I think 29B is applicable. Fruit and Spice Beer.

From 29 - definition of fruit:
"The culinary, not botanical, definition of fruit is used here – fleshy, seed-associated structures of plants that are sweet or sour, and edible in the raw state. Examples include... tropical fruit (banana, pineapple, guava, papaya, etc.), figs, pomegranate, prickly pear, and so on."

Specifically for 29b:
"The definition of Fruit in the preamble to Category 29 and Spice in the preamble to Category 30 apply; any combination of ingredients valid in Styles 29A and 30A are allowable in this category."

From 30, the definition of spice:
"This category explicitly includes all culinary spices, herbs, and vegetables, as well as nuts (anything with ‘nut’ in the name, including coconut)..."

So, you have a defined fruit (banana) that you state imposes a sour fruity flavor, and a spice (coconut) in your recipe.

As for the oak, see this guidance from 33A Wood-Aged Beer:
"Beers made using either limited wood aging or products that only provide a subtle background character may be entered in the base beer style categories as long as the wood character isn’t prominently featured."

I think 29B is applicable. Fruit and Spice Beer.

From 29 - definition of fruit:
"The culinary, not botanical, definition of fruit is used here – fleshy, seed-associated structures of plants that are sweet or sour, and edible in the raw state. Examples include... tropical fruit (banana, pineapple, guava, papaya, etc.), figs, pomegranate, prickly pear, and so on."

Specifically for 29b:
"The definition of Fruit in the preamble to Category 29 and Spice in the preamble to Category 30 apply; any combination of ingredients valid in Styles 29A and 30A are allowable in this category."

From 30, the definition of spice:
"This category explicitly includes all culinary spices, herbs, and vegetables, as well as nuts (anything with ‘nut’ in the name, including coconut)..."

So, you have a defined fruit (banana) that you state imposes a sour fruity flavor, and a spice (coconut) in your recipe.

As for the oak, see this guidance from 33A Wood-Aged Beer:
"Beers made using either limited wood aging or products that only provide a subtle background character may be entered in the base beer style categories as long as the wood character isn’t prominently featured."
I may go with this thanks! Because the wood character isn't so pronounced, I don't need to put it in 33 like i had initially thought.

It’s never good to enter a beer into a competition where you didn’t specifically brew the beer to a style. BJCP competition are completely judge on style. You can brew an amazing beer and score in the 20s because it’s not true to style.

It’s never good to enter a beer into a competition where you didn’t specifically brew the beer to a style. BJCP competition are completely judge on style. You can brew an amazing beer and score in the 20s because it’s not true to style.

To expand on this... Even if you brewed to a certain style, you don't have to enter it under that style. Always taste the beer and compare it to the style guidelines to see where you think it fits best. Or better yet, if you can afford it and the competition has space, enter the same beer in different categories to see where it fares best.

Back