Help with Auber SYL-2362 and Honeywell Solenoids! Flame not consistent!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentdonkey

Reaction score
So I have a brutus 10 propane setup and I am using 2 Auber 2362s to control 2 Honeywell solenoid valves with the safety pilot. Everything runs fine (the burner turns on and heats until the SV is reached, then it shuts off). However, the flame pulsates the entire time. I have it set on on/off mode (outy 4) and using 13 and 14 (J2) to go out to my 24VDC transformers then to the solenoids. I have Hy set at 3, cycle at 30, and filter at 1. I feel like it is going into PWM mode and I dont know how to change it so it gives it just 100% or 0% power (on/off). Has anyone seen this before?

I have the propane regulated at 0.5 PSI. I also changed out the spring that came with the valves to LP. Maybe there is somwthing I need to tune on the valves?

Thanks!!

Ryan

Can you check for power with a multimeter or use another transformer to test everything?

Tap the solenoid that it giving you trouble or if it is both maybe the transformer is having trouble changing from your input voltage to your out put voltage.

What regulator are you using to reach .5 PSI?, a 2 stage, or trying to get there with a 0-30 psi regulator. The condition you describe sounds like the regulator having problems holding pressure, single stage and high pressure regulators can oscillate like this because flow capacity is way more than the load causing it to feed too much gas when opening.

I checked the voltage at the transformers and I was getting a low reading (about 0.5V). I could be taking the reading wrong though. I am using a regulator that is set at 0.5 psi, its non adjustable. Similar to this one : http://www.brewershardware.com/LPG-regulator-for-11-WC-with-5-hose.html. I also have a 1 psi one, but I think that is too high for the Honeywell valves.

Try using one burner momentarily to see if its a gas volume issue. Did it ever have a consistent flame

1/2 psi max on most Honeywell gas valves. It says usually at the inlet

I have never had a consistent flame. I will try it with one burner and the higher psi regulator. I have two transformers (one for each burner) and they are both giving me the same readings and doing the same thing with the flame. The other regulator I have is a bayou classic 1 psi. I have the bayou burners too.

I have never had a consistent flame. I will try it with one burner and the higher psi regulator. I have two transformers (one for each burner) and they are both giving me the same readings and doing the same thing with the flame. The other regulator I have is a bayou classic 1 psi. I have the bayou burners too.
I would check the max psi on the gas valves before changing the regulator to one that can exceed the max psi of the gas valve. if you run one burner with the original hardware, and just remove the other burner and remember to cap the other burner if manifolded, than you can check for flame consistency

After talking with the guys where I bought the orifices (tejas smokers) for the burners it sounds like I might have the wrong orifice size. It is currently sized at #61 and they suggested that it be drilled out to a #56. Might be why there isnt enough flow. Does anyone have the BG12 burners on a low pressure system? What size do you have the orifices at?

I had a similar issue when I test fired my rig last weekend, all I did was adjust the gas valve regulator until the flame was steady. I converted my valve from NG to LP, the directions stated that fine tuning my be required, this was true, both the pilot and main valve required adjustment to burn correctly.

I'm using the Keg Cowboy 3 BG14 burner set with the 40psi regulator. I tested the system today and the burners with the Honeywell valves were pulsing. I tried adjusting the 40psi regulator and the regulator screws on the valves but nothing would stop it. Here is a video of the problem happening. The voltage is constant at the terminals so it's not the controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure but I believe the Honeywell valves require low pressure regulator.

I don't think they will work properly with high pressure

hamrd said:
I am not sure but I believe the Honeywell valves require low pressure regulator.

I don't think they will work properly with high pressure

Yes you are correct. The honeywell valves require 11WC, WC stands for water column, 11 WC I believe is .5psi.

n2fooz said:
I'm using the Keg Cowboy 3 BG14 burner set with the 40psi regulator. I tested the system today and the burners with the Honeywell valves were pulsing. I tried adjusting the 40psi regulator and the regulator screws on the valves but nothing would stop it. Here is a video of the problem happening. The voltage is constant at the terminals so it's not the controller.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3azS_MXO5Oc&feature=em-upload_owner

You need to get a low pressure regulator if you want to use honeywell gas valves, they require a much lower pressure then your regulator can regulate to. On my system I had to fine tune my honeywell valve since I had flame pulsing issues even with a low pressure LP regulator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3azS_MXO5Oc&feature=em-upload_owner

Sounds like you never read the valve specification.
According to the specs the inlet furnace valve pressure for LP should be 12.0-14.0". wc.
Get your self the correct low pressure regulator if you plan on using furnace valves.
Kladu has been posting for years the best regulators for the job.
Get a dual stage if you plan on supplying multiple valves with one regulator.

I use one single stage regulator for each of my burners.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Excuse my ignorance but right now my 3rd burner works perfectly without the Honeywell's. If I add the low pressure regulators to the solenoids, will the gas flow be enough for the burners?

After some searching it looks like I need to drill the orifices out to between .070 and .080".

n2fooz said:
Excuse my ignorance but right now my 3rd burner works perfectly without the Honeywell's. If I add the low pressure regulators to the solenoids, will the gas flow be enough for the burners?

As long as you have the correct orifice in the burner then yes. Really if you want to have gas furnace valves, low pressure solenoid valves, then you will need a low pressure gas regulator and the matching orifices in the burners or they will not function correctly. You could have a separate regulator for the burner that is not hooks up to a gas valve, but that of course is going to cost more.

Concerning The Gas Valve, Look Into a DIY Manometer To Correctly
Setup & Measure Your W.C. Level(s)

Back