help small brew got the answer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigboy147

Reaction score
I'm looking looking for a way to go large batch brew to a 1 1/2 gallon of brew I send a pdf file
can someone help convert this i have 5 more recipes to be converted to 1 1/2 gallon the go from 3.04 to 6.34 gallon
yes all are low ABV .3% to 0.9% before ask I can't tolerate alcohol

After posting this I found at formula and a video

Beer-N-BBQ by Larry
for a Brewing Tools Brewing Spreadsheet
Tools & Calculators – BEER-N-BBQ by Larry

his youtube
https://www.youtube.com/c/BEERNBBQBYLARRY/featured

Last edited:
Click the Brewing Software tab at the top of the page here and you'll be taken to Brewer's Friend. Sign up and you can enter your recipes there yourself and scale them to the size you desire. I don't know for certain if the free membership has limits on this or even allows you to do this. The paid will allow you to. Most other beer recipe software or apps will let you do this. BrewTarget is completely free, but it's not maintained and has some clutziness to it that you have to get used to. But it allows scaling a recipe too. There are lot of other excellent Beer recipe tools you can use, but they do require some money.

Since you got this recipe in Brewfather, do they not have a scaling function?

Click the Brewing Software tab at the top of the page here and you'll be taken to Brewer's Friend. Sign up and you can enter your recipes there yourself and scale them to the size you desire. I don't know for certain if the free membership has limits on this or even allows you to do this. The paid will allow you to. Most other beer recipe software or apps will let you do this. BrewTarget is completely free, but it's not maintained and has some clutziness to it that you have to get used to. But it allows scaling a recipe too. There are lot of other excellent Beer recipe tools you can use, but they do require some money.

Since you got this recipe in Brewfather, do they not have a scaling function?
yes you need to paid but beer-n-bbq has very good videos

i'd probably try something simple.... divide the batch size you want, in whatever measurment you use nativly. then use that to multiply the ingiedents?

like 2.23/6.42=0.347

so if a recipe calls for 11kgs of base malt, 0.347x11=3.82

i've read hop utilization is trickier though?

i just punched hops into beersmith2, it does a straight conversion of IBUs for gallons, nothing special?

Is this an all-grain or extract based recipe?

Like has been said, ingredients will scale fairly linearly. You can just multiply by 0.2, 0.25, 0.5, etc. Two areas that may not scale as well:

Efficiency: With all grain recipes, you likely will have a different efficiency value than the author of the recipe. If you try to brew the recipe on different equipment and using different processes, you might also have different efficiency levels. A difference of +/- 5% will not have a huge impact on the final beer, but will impact the gravity and ABV numbers a little.

Water: Water volumes, especially boil off values, may need to be adopted for your system. I get a higher rate of boil off on my propane burner than my stovetop, but for my smaller stovetop batches I get a higher percentage of boil off. Depending on your process, you may need to adopt other water values for your system (full volume mash vs sparging, fly sparging vs BIAB, etc.).

Back