Help needed with a RUST problem on BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxmoye

Reaction score
First let me say thanks to all of the folks on this site. I'm a new brewer (4 months/4 brews) and have yet to post any questions because I have always been able to find my exact question asked and answered every time something has come up.

I now have a question that I can't find an answer to (its probably out there but I couldn't find it).

My brew pot has a couple long scratches along the inner side that match up exactly where my long metal spoon scrapes along while stirring. I looked closely when prepping for my next brew and noticed that it looked like the scratch has rusted. I have an el cheapo 5 gal SS pot that I bought as part of a turkey fryer setup for $50.

I tried to upload an image of the largest scratch.

I scrubbed the hell out of this scratch with a paper towel using bar keepers friend and it still looks rusted deep in the scratch. I think what happened is I scraped through the layer of SS and got into the aluminum(?) middle layer, which has now rusted.

I looked at other posts about surface rust spots and everything I find mentions barkeepers friend as a fix. I totally agree that the stuff is awesome and I use it on my SS weber grill all the time. But this rust is deep down in a scratch and not on the surface.

My Questions: 1. Should I use something a little more rough and try and sand the rust off? 2. Is the rust even harmful since I'm boiling it?

Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2013-10-24 19.42.34.jpg

I've never heard of aluminum or stainless steel rusting. Could it be dis colored from the wort? Maybe try something more corse then a paper towel. Good luck!

Thanks - I can do that, I will try something a little tougher like the rough side of a sponge and see if that does anything.

Also, I don't know if it would affect anything but I have extremely hard water here in FL.

Also here is another picture (its tough trying to take a pic on the inside of the pot). I'm 99% sure it is rust.

2013-10-24 19.43.12.jpg

You might try a scotch brite pad with some Barkeeper's friend. If that doesn't do it, use new, fine sandpaper to remove the rust, rinse, and then rub a paste of Barkeeper's friend on there for a little while before rinsing again.

Latest posts

Back