Help, need to sanitize new bottles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstew1987

Reaction score
I have new bottles, star San, bottle brush, and bottle dry rack. What should be the procedure for sanitizing the bottles? Any tips?

Spray or wet the bottle tree to sanitize it. Wet the inside of the bottles with sanitizer (all interior surfaces) and put them on the tree. Now you're ready to bottle.

For the next time, I recommend a long narrow basin for your sanitizer. I use a plastic flower window box thing that is long enough to submerge 2 bombers at a time in Star San. I use only 1.25 gal of Star San solution in this long basin.

I see the Revvy sticky has been referenced. There is a reason they refer to this one as a "sticky," and is that what you want when you bottle? I do not recommend the short hose that requires you to push a bottle up into the bottling wand, as recommended in the sticky. Instead, put 12 bottles in a cardboard bomber case with the top cut off so you can see the bottles fill. Put 12 empty bottles in the case and use a longer hose to fill 12 at a time. Then cap and fill 12 more.

Revvy has some good tips, but the short hose thing just misses the mark IMO.

Ask yourself if you really need "babies" (12 oz bottles), or if you would be happier filling and cleaning a lot less bombers (22 oz). I do a combination that is 90% bombers. That first beer always tastes like another, so let's stop kidding ourselves and just use bombers.

I have new bottles, star San, bottle brush, and bottle dry rack. What should be the procedure for sanitizing the bottles? Any tips?

PBW is a good cleaner for new bottles. Might not need the brush since you are most likely just dealing with manufacturing oils and dust accumulation before being boxed. PBW needs to be rinsed well.
The brush will be needed for bottles you get back from friends who refuse to rinse immediately after pouring.

Starsan is a good contact and no rinse sanitizer. Starsan is only effective when it is wet. Sanitize just before filling.

The bottling wand attached to the bottling bucket with a three inch length of tubing is the most efficient method of bottling. Bottling can even be done with one hand this way. Have a tray underneath to catch any drips.

PBW is a good cleaner for new bottles. Might not need the brush since you are most likely just dealing with manufacturing oils and dust accumulation before being boxed. PBW needs to be rinsed well.
The brush will be needed for bottles you get back from friends who refuse to rinse immediately after pouring.

Starsan is a good contact and no rinse sanitizer. Starsan is only effective when it is wet. Sanitize just before filling.

The bottling wand attached to the bottling bucket with a three inch length of tubing is the most efficient method of bottling. Bottling can even be done with one hand this way. Have a tray underneath to catch any drips.

Yes, good information in the first paragraph. I just want to comment on the Star San being effective only when wet. To me, this means put the bottles on the sanitized tree (up-side-down) while they are wet. Then, if you want to eat lunch before bottling, and the bottles all dry, probably no problem. Wild yeast and bacteria don't fly up into the bottles. You can bottle after they are well drained and even dry. There is no race to put beer into them while they are still wet. Now, if you have fruit flies buzzing into your empty bottles, that's another story.

Back