Help - My Dogs and Cats want my beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meddin

Reaction score
Fellow Homebrewers,

I am having a problem I need some help with. I just completed my keezer build last week, and it works great. I did however, run into an issue today. It seems that one our cats accidently opened one of the 3 Perlick taps, and beer started flowing. Luckily, I was home when it happened, and in the next room, so beer loss was only about 2-3 pints (the dog helped clean it up :drunk:).

I am worried that this will happen again when I am not at home or sleeping, and will lose an entire keg. Anyone else run into this? If so, what did you do? I could just disconnect the liquid line from the corny I suppose, but that seems like a pain to do that every time I use it.

The LHBS sells tap locks for something like $30 each, but that seem expensive.

Thoughts??

This came up a while back, and I think the cat proofing idea was to bungie cord a 1x4 in front of the tap handles, locking them back? Obviously wouldn't stop kids, but it'd be too much force for the cat to surpass. Unless you have some sort of super-kitty.

If you use .22, then you have a kitty to bury. Use 308 and there is nothing left! OR........try a USAS-12 with slugs!

Bury? Just toss it on the side of the road with all the others!

free-cat.jpg

It'll look like ****, but cover the front half of the keezer lid with tin foil, cats don't like the feeling of stepping on it.

Or you can get one of those automatic sprayers (Such as the Ssscat Cat), just make sure it doesn't spray you whenever you go to pull a pint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back