Help me maximize BIAB efficieny.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhamer

Reaction score
I normally mash for 60 minutes with NO mashout and I sparge by pouring 170 degree water over my grains/bag after the 60 minute mash. Any suggestion or tips to help maximize efficiency are greatly appreciated.

Well,if the grains I order are already crushed,I crush them again on brew day with my Barley Crusher mill set at the factory .039". My OG's are definitely higher as a result. I also started dunk sparging. It also seems to work more evenly than pouring the 170F water over the bag of grains in a SS colander on top of the BK/MT.

double crush grain, and dunk sparge in a separate pot, this method has taken me to the high 70's efficiency. the only reason I'm not doing that anymore is purely a size matter since I stepped up to 10-12 gallon batches.

Yeah,that'd definitely be a little heavy when wet. I typically mash no more than 6lbs of grains for my pb/pm biab beers. Even that's heavy enough when wet. But the dunk sparge works so well efficiency-wise,I'll keep doing that for the time being.

Thanks! Going to try dunk sparging instead. Now I'll just wait at the door with my nose to the glass in anticipation of my ingredients coming today.

I get my grain double crushed at my LHBS. After the mash I dunk and stir my grain in a second smaller pot followed by some rinsing and squeezing until I hit my boil volume.

I honestly have no idea what my efficiency is but it's better than 70% because my OG comes in a little high on recipes where 70% is assumed.

Back