Help Me Build A Jockey Box!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RensBerserker

Reaction score
I came into a bit of luck recently, when a friend was able to save some nifty 316SS coils from the scrap heap at work (and kindly donate them to me, of course):

20130319_212440.jpg

They are 3/8" OD, and each of the four coils is roughly 8-9' in length. I have a few events coming up this summer that would make great use of a jockey box, so these coils are destined for that purpose.

Of course, if all 4 coils are daisy-chained together, I'm looking at 32-36' of 3/8" SS tubing. Will this work adequately for a single tap jockey box?

I've tried to do a bit of research on how people typically build jockey boxes using stainless tubing, but the writeups that I've seen are mighty light on the details. Things like beer line diameter, how the beer line comes into the cooler, whether or not it's necessary to use hose barbs on the SS - beer line junctions, etc, etc...

My initial thought is to just drill a hole in the back of the cooler and simply pass the beer-in line through said hole (bulkheads seem like somewhat of a waste of money). Is it necessary to line the inlet hole with PVC or something?

Will it work ok to just stretch some 3/8" ID beer line over the ends of the SS tube, and secure with some hose clamps? That strategy could work for 'jumpers' from coil to coil, and I've also seen 3/8" tailpieces. However, how can I get 3/8" tube terminated with a black ball lock QD? Will 3/8" hose work with 5/16" hose barbs?

Thanks in advance!

Back