Help! Little Giant Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
So not a good day....dropped my little giant pump 578603 on ground and it wont work anymore...

Does anyone know of a repair part place online?
Shop that repairs?

Or am i sunk into shopping for a new pump?

Thanks

Remove the pump head and the shroud that holds the magdrive unit.
See if the bare motor spins up without issue.
If it doesn't, the frame is likely bent and will need someone to tweak it back into alignment.
If the motor spins up freely, re-install the magdrive, and get that working.
It may take adjustment to get it centered to the motor.

Once that's spinning freely, then add the pump head.
Again, there's some freedom of movement and alignment is important...

Cheers!

Thanks,
Pulled off the head...and back and looking at it looks like there is some wobble to it...
soon as the mag drive is engaged in freezes up ;(
Gonna have someone look at it..hopefully its not toast

Did you get the pump fixed? I would doubt it had something to do with the impeller but??? Did you take off the cover and take the impeller out and see if it spins with the head on?

I have a march/chugger which the motor is about the same and I was cutting a hop bag open and the scissors slipped out of my hand and landed on the pump while it was running and it started making all kinds of noise. I shut it off, looked at it then turned it back on and it wouldn't spin. The point of the scissors went through a vent hole and bent one of the very thin aluminum cooling fins. I just suck a screwdriver through the holes and straightened the fin out and it ran great since then. It doesn't take much at all for the fan blade to hit the side. These pumps have very little torque so the slightest resistance will make it not be able to start. once its moving, all is well.

Back