HELP! Just tapped Guinness Keg Not Working Properly!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppriemo

Reaction score
I have just tapped a keg of Guinness. Using a traditional american kegerator tap setup. It works but the Guinness comes out flat. I have the standard american faucet and nitrogen tank that you would use for Bud Light. In order for me to correct this problem and have the Guinness pour properly:

Is it all that I need for the Guinness faucet to replace the American faucet? If so can I change it out with the keg tapped now? Also, Can I take the existing tank and get blended nitrogen gas tank*(75% nitrogen, 25% CO2) put into it?

Thank You for your help.

LOL, nitrogen tank for bud light HAHAHA.
Sorry dude, couldn't resist that. That would be a standard CO2 tank for bud. For guinness to pour correctly, and get that cascade effect, you do need the stout tap & beer gas, some gas suppliers will fill a CO2 tank with beer gas, some wont, then you need a different regulator. You'ld need a different hi-pressure gauge anyway the CO2 gauge isn't high enough for beer gas. Yes the stout faucet will replace the american faucet, its threaded the same. Just don't forget to disconnect the keg & bleed off the pressurized beer in the lines before you unscrew the faucet or you'll have a mess.
HOWEVER: for now, you could pour the guinness with the CO2 at low pressure because guinness is a pretty flat style anyway. Search for nitro effect & you'll find a description of using a syringe to come closer to the Nitro cascade effect. Play around with the pressure till you get a decent pour.
Hope that helps, All the best to ya!

Back