Help! I poured the wrong yeast, but took it out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todes

Reaction score
Hello, I accidentally poured the wrong yeast but tookit out almost inmediately and replaced with the good one :no:. Do you think It will go wrong or ok?

You mean you pitched the wrong yeast into your wort? Then you took it out how?

It might help if you give us a little more to go on like what you were making, what yeast you pitched, and what yeast you were supposed to pitch.

Not really sure how you managed to get it out, but that really doesn’t matter. No problem, it will do fine!

The "tookit out" sounds a little impossible from a reality standpoint but everything will be fine.

Yeast will do what yeast do and they all do essentially the same thing. Eat sugar, make alcohol.

It may be slightly different from a yeast sourced flavor profile since there is no way you effectively "tookit out" and then pitched the good one. The good one will be dominant assuming its cell count out numbered and is able to out produce any remaining wrong one.

There really isn't a "wrong" yeast, just variations of better and worse choices for a particular brew

Last edited:
Hello my friends. I pitched dry yeast straight from the pack. It was the last remaining of a 500g pack. Right after that I realices it was s05. The yeast was still floating and I took it out with a spoon. Then I pitched S04

Yeah no worries. If you had for example pitched a Belgian yeast into a clean ale recipe you might have gotten some flavors you weren't expecting (as others mentioned hard to totally get it out once you've pitched). 05 is neutral though, and since you probably managed to pitch more 04 than 05 you'll probably just get the characteristics of the 04 coming through.

Some people intentionally pitch a packet of US-05 along with the primary yeast since it's an easy way to increase cell count/pitch rate without needing a starter, and the US-05 doesn't have much flavor impact.

Some people intentionally pitch a packet of US-05 along with the primary yeast since it's an easy way to increase cell count/pitch rate without needing a starter, and the US-05 doesn't have much flavor impact.
That's good to know when using some lower attenuating yeast like Windsor.

Latest posts

Back