Help, first timers first batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw8140

Reaction score
So several friends and I decided to start a 5 gal batch of cider for the holidays about a week ago. However, the task of actually doing all the work fell to me. So as not to disappoint them I wanted to see if so far I'm doing this right. Used store bout cider that had quite a but of natural sediment in it. No ingredients in it other than the apples, and it had been flash pasteurized. Poured all
But about a half gallon into a gal glass carboy (sterilized). With the remaining half gallon I warmed it up to roughly 90' and dissolved a cup of brown sugar, a cup of white sugar, and two cups of honey. Then added it to the cider in the glass carboy. Sprinkled in one full packet of red star champagne yeast and one capsule of yeast nutrient. Plugged it with the vapor-lock, and waited. It started bubbling after about 24 hours and a week later is still going at a roughly one bubble every 5 seconds pace. Is it done-ish? When I take a hydrometer rating it puts it at roughly 5% ABV, which is decent I guess as I don't want wine. It's starting to have a mildly bland/alcohol taste to it. My fear is that since this process and everyone's experiences seem to be wildly different, if I'm headed in the right direction. I have another 5 gal glass carboy to use as the secondary but I'm not sure if I should rack it now, or wait even longer? I don't want vinegar! Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

That sounds good so far. Should be very good cider when finished. Primary for a cider can go for about 2 weeks. But if you like where it is at you can cold crash it and rack it off of the yeast cake. For secondary I would leave it for at least a month. Then when bottling time rolls around you can back sweeten to taste. Take a small sample out and add concentrated apple juice or apple cider or even wine conditioner (available from most homebrew suppliers) and add small amounts to the cider until the flavor is where you want it. Then replicate roughly the same amount scaled to your batch size and add to the carboy before bottling. For a decent video on cider making watch: Brewing TV Episode 67. It is good start for a rough procedure on creating hard cider.

Back