Help!! First all grain problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muttieb

Reaction score
Hi, everyone I did my first all grain batch this past Sunday, a raspberry wheat ale from Midwest supplies. Things went smoothly until I started fermenting. I placed my fermentor down in my basement in a half open cooler with a lamp light in it to keep it in the right temperature range. Well 24 hours later I go down there to check on things and see that the airlock is bubbling like crazy, I check the thermometer and see that its at the top at 82 degrees!!!!:drunk:

I immediately take out the light and open the cooler and over the past few days the temp has been sitting right around 68 degrees but not theres only about 1 bubble a minute.

Have I just ruined my beer and is there anything I can do to help it???
Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

Whats done is done. You will likely get some off flavors in the end product. But don't give up on it. Keep things going like normal.

What kind of yeast came with the kit??

The bubbling has slowed down because the yeast hit peak temperatures as far as fermentation is concerned. While yeast are extremely fast and effective at that high of temps, they will almost always throw off nasty flavors like fused alcohols or band aid aromas. The one exception is saison yeast I believe. The slow bubbles just mean fermentation is winding down.

Thanks for the tip! I used Wyeast liquid yeast can't remember what kind. I guess everything is a learning experience and hopefully the beer won't be too terrible!

It depends on the yeast, but I would expect with a wheat beer yeast you'd end up with some banana flavors from the high temps. It may end up being a nice combination as a raspberry banana wheat.

muttieb said:
Hi, everyone I did my first all grain batch this past Sunday, a raspberry wheat ale from Midwest supplies. Things went smoothly until I started fermenting. I placed my fermentor down in my basement in a half open cooler with a lamp light in it to keep it in the right temperature range. Well 24 hours later I go down there to check on things and see that the airlock is bubbling like crazy, I check the thermometer and see that its at the top at 82 degrees!!!!:drunk:

I immediately take out the light and open the cooler and over the past few days the temp has been sitting right around 68 degrees but not theres only about 1 bubble a minute.

Have I just ruined my beer and is there anything I can do to help it???
Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

What was the recomended temp on your Wyeast smack pack ? Maby the 80's was the right temp for that beer every yeast has a temp range that you can find on their website !! Maby the 60's isn't the right thing at all. I pitched a french saison 3711 Smack pack last week in my beer set it in the basement at 76 degrees constant, the yeast went NUTS went form 1.060 to 1.006 in only 10 days :))) Allways check the recomended temps for your yeast and play in there... My opinion on the light heating system is a no go for me I allways let my fermenters sit alone swaddled in a blanket and never touch them before a full 7 days minimum, let it be... I check the airlock and unswaddle it to see if everything is fine but for the rest let it rest...

gandalfiii said:
It depends on the yeast, but I would expect with a wheat beer yeast you'd end up with some banana flavors from the high temps. It may end up being a nice combination as a raspberry banana wheat.

+1

Maby even bubble gum flavors. ;)

Latest posts

Back