Help deciding on a mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy0421

Reaction score
I have been extract brewing for the past 2 years and have a simple 2 keg setup. I usually have an IPA on tap along with something seasonal, porters and stouts in the winter and lighter beers in the summer. I've been reading this site and some of the brewing books I have around and finally want to make the jump to all grain this summer.

I am sooooo not handy and don't have the time or tools to fiddle around with. I have 5 young kids and do most of my shopping on the net out of convenience.

I want to eventually brew 10 gallon batches of the styles that I mentioned above. I would also like to fly sparge.

My mash tun research has pointed my to the two following units:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/thermo-mash-tun.html
It has a 10 gallon capacity and an 11 in false bottom

and

http://www.highlanderbrewingsupply.com/servlet/the-46/FIFTEEN-GALLON-COOLER-MASH/Detail
15 gallon capacity and a 9 in false bottom.

Can you offer suggestions or point out any pros/cons on the 2 designs. Some things that you think of might not be apparent to someone just getting into all grain.

Thank You for your help and all comments are appreciated!

John

Here are some ramblings as I understand them now:

-Round coolers are more typically used for fly sparging but is has less to do with shape and more to do with even drainage.
-10 gallon batches would be fine in a 10 gallon MLT but you'll be limited to <~7.5% beers
-An extra $30 for the highland brewing cooler seems like a good deal
-I like the highland thermowell thermometer

More folks will have more input on usefulness of both options more so than I. I think you'd be fine either way with the limitation of gravity in the 10gallon cooler.

.....and, of course, you could build something for much cheaper :D (but I understand the busy kid life, FULLY)

Round coolers, square coolers, rectangular coolers, kegs, BIAB, false bottoms, copper manifolds, CPVC manifolds, they all work, they all make good beer and they all have sectors of the homebrewing world that love them and that hate them. Even somebody with very rudimentary DIY skills like myself can make a mashtun pretty simply and very inexpensively (compared to buying a pre-made one) from a square/rectangular cooler, a few bucks worth of CPVC and a valve. It is an option that will leave you lots of money left over to buy grain & hops compared to a $160 store bought unit. Just something else to consider.

http://www.highlanderbrewingsupply.com/servlet/the-46/FIFTEEN-GALLON-COOLER-MASH/Detail

SPARGE O MATIC Sparge unit has 1/2 inch barbed connection, and a wide pattern spray unit under lid. Simply connect to your hot liquor tank and commense sparge!.

what is a SPARGE O MATIC?

a20791813579e616444157_m.JPG

10 gallon tun is a bit small for 10 gallon batches. That said, with a 2 keg setup I don't really think you need to make ten gallons. I love my simple ten gallon igloo, replaced the stock thumb button fitting with a kettle valve and strainer, no false bottom necessary and waaay cheaper than premade units. This was really super simple. I batch sparge as I find it easier, faster and just as efficient as most fly sparge setups. As posted above, there are tons of options that work, it's really up to your budget and brewing style. Enjoy!!!

So I would be ok with 10 gallon batches of my normal IPAs, or whatever, in the 10 gallon tun as long as it is under 7.5% Alc? I dont' see myself brewing too many beers stronger then that, and they would probably be smaller batches anyway.

But...you never know. If the larger cooler didn't have any major drawbacks I wouldn't mind having the option available. I don't want to get something and then have to replace it because I didn't think far enough ahead.

I know a lot of members on this forum build everything yourself and I really respect that, but time is at a real premium in my stage of life. I'm a den leader, multi sport coach, and value spending time with the family over time in Home Depot. My wife would NOT be happy if I took on anymore at the moment. I know there are cost savings to be had but we save money in other ways so the expense to time relationship is worth it to me right now. All opinions and advice is appreciated.

Which one would you choose and why? Are there any other options out there for a person with build-it-yourself-phobia!!?

I'd go with the midwest mash tun and if you want to fly sparge
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stainless-steel-sparge-arm.html

It's the "higher quality" of the round coolers (i'm happy with my uninsulated lid rubbermaid based one)

it's all stainless
it's all assembled
It's a set-up lots of people use (imagine trying to write a post about your clogged/failed sparge-o-matic if need be)
it's from a company that will back you up

unpack it, dump in water and grain, drain out wort.

I have a 48 qt rectangular Coleman with a bargainfittings.com 1/2in ss ball valve assembly and stainless braid hose for lautering. It literally took me 5 mins to put together. And about $60 total, including the cooler. I can't imagine using a larger cooler would change the process much. I say order the parts, slap it together, and save a Benjamin.

Just built one last week. Purchased the 10 gallon igloo industrial cooler at a local construction supply store for $60 and the SS fittings at http://www.bargainfittings.com/. They have a kit for around $20 that will give you everything you need to convert a cooler. I did opt out of the false bottom and went with the SS braided hose mainly to save a little money. Here is how it turned out:

image-4207899193.jpg

image-167879569.jpg

image-2727267219.jpg

I took an old cooler (garage sales)and fitted it with about $10 in parts:

valve.jpg

Very simple, very cheap. I have like $40 into mine, 48qt cooler shipped. Looks like a good opportunity to impress yourself.

MoreCBell,
Looks great. I was just looking at the bargainfittings site. Thanks for the info. What size batches do you plan to brew?

And thanks to everyone for ALL of the advice!

masskrug said:
I took an old cooler (garage sales)and fitted it with about $10 in parts:

I'm stealing the vorlauf reminder, sir. I'm always forgetting.

Hey Murphy,

I totally understand your points on taking time away from family. But mash tuns are about the easiest things in brewing to build. Remove cooler spigot, bolt on valve, screw in kettle screen. If you don't have time for that you DEFINITELY don't have time for all grain. Just sayin'...

murphy0421 said:
MoreCBell,
Looks great. I was just looking at the bargainfittings site. Thanks for the info. What size batches do you plan to brew?

And thanks to everyone for ALL of the advice!

Right now 5 gallon, but with a recent upgrade to my brew pot I should be comfortable brewing up to 10 with this MLT. There are several threads that discuss how big of a mash tun you need if you want to research it. From what I gathered unless you are doing 10 gallon batches of Barley Wine or some other huge beer, a 10 gallon mash tun should be adequate for most beers under 8 or 9 ABV.

Back